Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Somtimes You're Up and Sometimes Down Part 2

A few years ago, my family went to Peru to do service missions. We visited Machu Picchu on both trips. There is a hike that is limited to a small amount of people each day. If you want to do this hike, you have to get up VERY early in the morning, stand in line to take a bus to the ruins, get in and stand in lines to get a permit to hike the mountain.


Huanu Picchu is the mountain that you see in the back of every classic picture of Machu Picchu. There is a moderately steep trail that goes up the side of the mountain to the very top. The first year we went, a small group of the teens and two of my older brothers went on this hike. I chose to go. I was the last on the trial and my oldest brother kept trying to get me to quit the hike as it was such a high altitude and a steep hike.


I was actually shaking before I started the hike because the ruins at Machu Picchu themselves are steep. I started counting the steps to go up the mountain.


My brother said things like, "You don't need to prove anything to anyone." and, "You don't need to go to the top." I told him I wasn't doing it to "prove" anything to anyone. I was doing it for myself. I kept telling him to go ahead. He thought my counting steps was silly. I told him I was fine and wanted to go at my own pace. He wouldn't leave me and I felt pressured at first but then decided that it was his choice to stay with me and I was going to do it my way anyway.


I climbed 50 steps and rested for a few breaths and then another 50 and took a drink. I am sure I probably miscounted some stairs but I made it to the top at just over 1550 steps going up.


On the way down, my two older brothers were very slow and complaining about their knees and I almost ran down the mountain. My knees were great and I arrived before them at the bottom.
On the trail, there were people from all over the world. It made me think of how no matter where we live in the world, we are all on the same path going through the same struggles and trials. We are all trying to return to live with a loving Father and Brother who give us encouragement on the trail.
to be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment