Monday, June 14, 2010

Beans, Beans the Magical fruit...

I used to cook my dried beans by soaking them overnight and then pressure cooking them for lengthy amounts of time.


My sister got this information from a friend and shared it with me and I am so glad she did. Dry to useable beans in about 1/2 an hour. You take whatever amount of dried beans you want to cook. Remember they will double in size or more after cooking.


Put in dried beans. Put in 4 times that amount of water. Put in pressure cooker and bring it to pressure and pressure for 2 minutes and then take off heat and reduce pressure as quickly as possible.


I started using the middle cooker after I got it for a wedding present 25 years ago. I had never used one before and was afraid of its noise. I now own about 6 cookers of all sizes for canning etc. It saves on fuel costs and saves me time by cooking things more quickly.


Drain the beans and rinse. Then, put them back into the pressure cooker with 3 times the amount of water and bring to pressure again and pressure for 12 minutes.


When the timer goes off, take them off the heat and let them return to room pressure slowly.


In the pictures here I used kidney beans and a few pinto beans.

I then added chopped tomatoes and a jar of salsa. Depending on the amount of beans I cooked, I may add more salsa, chili seasoning and another can of chopped tomatoes.


We like our chili with shredded cheese on it. Once when I ran out of sour cream, we put cottage cheese in it, that was good also. Most of my girls like sour cream in it as well. We serve it with tortilla chips, potato chips or saltines. Just depends on what is in the cupboard.


If you have a problem digesting beans (Musical fruit issue) then you may want to buy some HCL or Beta hydrochloric Acid which will aid in the digestion of the beans and dairy that many people have a hard time digesting. You can get HCL at any health food store. Take one when you eat something that is an offender to your stomach and if one doesn't work, take 2. If you feel any burning in your stomach, cut back to the last effective dose. I personally take half of a capsule but that is what works for me.


I have shared that information with many who thanked me later for the help.


Enjoy your Chili!

No comments:

Post a Comment