Tuesday, January 12, 2021

The annual Couch Conditioning and Snake Skin Hat As Well

 

I shared about how my front room leather couch was fading due to UV rays starting in 2014. I found a great product that I use called Lexol. Here is a link to the original post on that.

I then posted in 2015 a part 2 showing it needed more conditioning since I hadn't conditioned it in years before 2014. The color of the couch was fairly dark still. Here is a link to that post.

In 2017 I posted here showing a post of what is going on in my life but also one of the couch showing how the color had faded over those past few years.

In 2018 I purchased a Rattlesnake Skin cowboy hat and shared how I used the same product to condition the snakeskin as I use on the couch. I have also used it on a leather holster for my fathers vintage gun and other leather straps. When I conditioned the hat, I also conditioned the couch at the same time. Due to the wear of years of sitting in the couch as well as so many years of UV sunlight on the couch, the dye and coating on the couch have completely worn off. 

When I conditioned the couch that last time, the leather took the conditioner differently than it had before. It was more wet like a natural non-dyed or conditioned leather. In the spots where the dye and initial color of the couch was intact, the conditioner slides over the couch like wiping down a counter. In the parts of the couch that are worn, the finish on the couch is completely worn so when I conditioned it, the conditioner made the leather very wet and I had to use LOTS of conditioner! The leather soaked it in and became dark due to the moisture rather than becoming dark due to the dye in the leather. 

I haven't conditioned the couch as often now because the product that I use has tannin in it and is a bit sticky for a few days until it dries. I also worry about the chemicals transferring through the skin. I have tried to do the last few coats of conditioner when no one will be visiting and using that couch for a few weeks at least. 

I noticed when conditioning it this time, that even more product soaked in and that the leather is now really soft with no finish left on the cushions. There is still some finish on the backs of the back cushions, but none on the seat cushions. 

There is no color left on the seat that sees daylight and I noticed as you can see in the photos of the couch per-conditioning this time, that where the couch pillows stay, there is a bit of color left, so I am going to remove the pillows from the couch unless family is home so that the color will fade more evenly in the next few years. It is really frustrating that the color has dissapeared, however, the conditioning of the couch has left it very soft and supple which is nice as I have seen other natural leather couches crack and get brittle. 

You can see the difference of the color of the couch by looking at the first link and post in 2014 compared to the photos of this post. I also did some repairs on the couch this year but haven't posted that video or post yet, but I am grateful that I was able to repair the couch and that I learned about this product to keep the couch soft and functioning so we can enjoy it for many years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment