Friday, May 22, 2020

Putting the Swamp Cooler in the Window - New Brick Base

Putting the swamp cooler in the window every year is a project. When we first bought the house, the owner's father had made a wooden base. Some people hang them off chains with no base. Having kids around, I didn't want it hanging from the eaves. 

The wooden base was never great so I purchased a coffee table and we used that for years as a base for the cooler. With water on it year-round, it rots and I eventually bought a metal base table from a second hand store and was able to put it in and out for the most part by myself. 

The wooden pieces that I had under the base were sinking into the mud each year and one side was getting burred even lower.

With the girls home, I figured they could help me lift the swamp cooler off the base and out of the mud so I could lay some bricks to be at the base of the table so the table legs and base wouldn't sink more as each year I would have to put thicker and thicker wood under the cooler on top of the table so I could fit it in the window. 

We took the cooler and table and put them on the cement pad, and then were able to dig down and level the ground so that I could use the bricks I had on top of a weed barrier, and once the bricks were down, the girls helped scrub the cooler, put in the cedar pads, put it in the window, and I was able to show them how to oil the cooler and talk about the maintenance for it. I have never had them help me put it in other than pulling it out once it was drained. 

It was really nice having help with each aspect today. I had enough time left over to play a game with them after dinner. 

I am loving having the girl's home. I feel very blessed having them home! 

Stay healthy and have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment