Friday, February 7, 2020

Being Gluten Free - Sunday Sacrament Becomes and Issue

Through my life, I have never liked most wheat products. I hadn't thought about it in the terms of "Wheat" or "Gluten" until I was nearly 50. 

I never enjoyed cake, cupcakes, stuffing, brownies, hot cereals, oatmeal items, gravies, meatballs, meatloaf, and some cereals. I did eat bread and rolls and enjoyed graham crackers. 

It wasn't until I started to gain weight and had lab test showing thyroid problems, that I was told that gluten was most likely the reason for my abnormal TPO test. That was when I realized I have had this issue my entire life and that was why I didn't like all those foods. I had noticed that when I ate gluten products, I would fall into a "mini coma" and my face would turn bright red. I also noticed if I ate a lot of gluten products all at one time, like pizza, I would react and then I would also have swelling in my hands and feet the next day. 

I immediately stopped eating any gluten products after I found out the thyroid test results, and haven't eaten gluten since. I will sometimes accidently get it in a product, and will know immediately that there was gluten in it as I react so much more intensely now, due to not having eaten it for so long.

In my church, they use bread for the sacramental portion of our meeting. In the beginning, I would just put a crumb in my mouth, but found that I was starting to react even to that crumb. I then would just touch the bread to my lips and know that in my heart I was renewing that covenant with my Father in Heaven. 

I had been to other congregations where they would ask people who needed gluten free to hold up their hand, but I always felt awkward doing that. In some places, they would have a huge cup with a lid on it, which took up lots of space on the trays and slid around. They also couldn't put more than one or two on each tray as the cups were so large. I felt that I was fine taking it the way I had been. 

There was a letter sent out about a year ago to all the congregations of our church through the world, saying that they should accommodate those with gluten or other allergy issues to make them feel welcome and allowing them the opportunity to participate in the sacrament. 

I was approached by my local congregation leadership and asked how I would like to see the situation handled. I pondered on it, and came up with a solution that I had at home that would be easy for me to do. I sort jewelry from assorted bags I purchase from second hand stores into little bags I purchase from Walmart in the jewelry section.  

I got some Rice Chex cereal out of my stash, and put one piece in each of the smallest baggies they sell in the jewelry section. They are about $2.50 for 100 baggies. I filled the entire 100 bags, and suggested to the leaders that they put a few of these on each tray so that others visiting may take one as needed if they are gluten free. 

It went well at first, but then they were only putting them on the one tray where I usually sit, so if I happen to not get that spot, the tray then misses me. Then, about two months ago, they didn't have any for a few weeks. I mentioned it, then the next two weeks, there was just a piece of cereal floating among the bread, not in a bag. I then had to dig through the bread to find the piece of cereal. This is an issue for two reasons. I am then touching other members bread, and there are some people who get sick just from their food touching something that has gluten in it. It is called, "cross contamination" and can be an issue. 

I mentioned something to my Bishop, and he then discussed it with those preparing the bread. He then asked me to prepare another batch of cereal in the baggies. I wondered as he told me where the box of Chex was, if they had returned any of the contaminated cereal back in the box as it hadn't been eaten on the trays. The box also had the name of another congregation that meets in our building at another time on the front of the box. So, I asked about that as well. He stated that we all share! 

I remember on another occasion, I had a really old tasting piece that had gone rancid, so that can also be an issue if you prepare more than needed at a time, or you purchase a box and leave it open to air. When I acquired the box of cereal this past week from the church, it was open and the top of the bag was open. This could be an issue for mice, ants, cockroaches etc. It was a large box and most likely wouldn't all be used before the expiration date, so that can also become an issue. 

The other solution I thought of, was that they could just have a baggie of cereal and put one piece in a sacramental water cup on the bread tray which would keep it from being contaminated, and also, if they prepared those first BEFORE preparing the bread, that would keep the cereal uncontaminated. I seem to remember another congregation using one of the larger cups and putting several pieces of cereal in it, but then if someone takes the entire cup, it spills, or someone is sick and touching the other pieces, it could also be an issue. The baggies seem to be the best option I can think of to solve most of the issues. 

It is hard for those who don't have this issue to realize what a BIG thing it can be for those afflicted with this issue.

I used to think that those needing gluten free, could just take their own bread each week as I have seen in other meetings I have attended, but then they have to sit in the same spot each week which isn't always possible with visiting guests, and also visiting guest miss out on the opportunity to participate. So, the baggie has been the best option as it doesn't take up so much space, keeps the cereal fresh and airtight as some of the plastic containers may not, and they can reuse them week after week. 

I do think they need to place a few of them on each tray allowing for visitors as I rarely find a place that has an alternative when I am traveling or visiting. 

Just a bit of a share for those that may have similar issues. I can take them when traveling and give those preparing the sacrament a handful before the meeting, they could put one on each tray which would allow for me to get one if no one in front of me needs it. ;-)

Have a blessed and allergy free day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment