Friday, February 22, 2019

Hawaiian Haystacks - Inflatable Limbo - Blue and Gold Scout Fun

I have mentioned that I am now working with the Cub Scouts for Boy Scouts of America. I have never done this position before having only ever done Pack meetings 20 or so years ago. 

We have a new Cub Pack Master and for our first big event, we had the blue and gold banquet. I am only an assistant, so I just let them do there thing and take what they want me to take. I got a call today from my group leader saying they asked her to do the "limbo" and get the music. 

I told her I had a Disney CD with a great rendition on it and also have a blow up Limbo set. Of course, not having had a child's birthday party in 15 years or so, I had to look in about five different places for the CD as I had given it to one of my girls so I checked in all their "Stash" spots for old cd's, in my big stash of CD's and was so excited when I found the case but it was empty. 

I then looked in my "Want to transfer to iTunes" pile and in one of the cd cases from one of the cars, I found it. I then set my sights on finding the Limbo kit. I had it last summer camping reunion but with my yardsale, things got moved around in the garage and I spent a few hours looking for the two items. I found the set, but while doing that. I pulled out all the sea shell jewelry and leis and puka shells I have from my jewelry bag sorts. 

I also pulled out some of the "treasure chests" that I have from "This or That" game I play at the reunions and put all the shelled necklace in the treasure chests and let all the scouts and families pick out a necklace. I gave all the adults "puka" shell necklaces and we all were ready for our "Hawaiian Banquet" for Blue and Gold Banquet. 

We all chipped in on Hawaiian haystacks for the dinner and we had a cake bake off with a Hawaiian theme and voted for the one we thought the best. I was helping so much that I didn't take pictures of the cakes, the tables, the treasure boxes or jewelry, but I did snap a few pictures of the "Limbo" game as it was a HUGE hit! 

I had a few big lei shell necklaces for prizes that were really ornate as well. The kids played it over and over. I had never gotten to use the blow up kit even though I took it last year, so it was nice to see how it worked. 

We pumped it up with a car compressor and it took a few more minutes to take down squeezing the air out but it worked really well. No falling stick to hurt kids, it was great! No one had to hold the stick up and I got the set new, in the box, at a used store for under $10 if I remember right. 

I looked them up online and this set was cheapest on Oriental Trading Co but this wouldn't be good for adults for long as it isn't very high. They range from $20 to $50 and they have adult ones that are really expensive, but I like this one as it is super compact and worked great. 

The CD I use is by Disney called "Sebastian Party Gras" and it has the most fun songs on it, and we used it all the time. It was great for birthday parties. I don't know if you can download all Disney songs, but it is called "Limbo Rock" and very fun song for kids and has an "Island" sound to it. 

It was super fun and I think everyone really enjoyed their time tonight. It was snowing as I left and my head has continually gotten worse as the night progresses, but I would say it was a "Hit" as the kids all enjoyed their time. 


Have a Blessed and Warm Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment