Thursday, September 13, 2018

Recall on the FD50/30 Harvest Maid Dehydrator


Many years ago, I purchased a Harvest Maid dehydrator. One day while using it, I saw flames coming out of the bottom and then it burned itself down and stopped working. 

I was grateful I was there when it flamed but was very grateful it didn't start anything on fire. I had it for a few years and used it all the time. I really liked the dehydrator as the trays stack and you can add more and more trays and I had about 8 trays already so I contacted the company and asked how much it would cost to send in the several that weren't working and get them fixed. In the end, I found out they didn't do repairs anymore and also that one of the units was under recall. Click here to see the post about that. 


I was going to be using more than one dehydrator this week to get all my apples dried off my tree so I could move on to pruning. Remembering that there had been a recall on one of their units, I called the company and asked them if they could tell me the unit that had been recalled and I had a FD-30 and a FD-50 unit. She told me that the unit that was recalled was a FD50/30 with a certain colored lid. 

I was concerned as I didn't know if that meant that it was both the FD 30 and 50 or if it was one or the other with a certain colored lid covering the motor or if there was a unit that had both the 30-50 in it. 


Flash forward to today. I had finished cleaning up both the 30 and the 50 as I had used them for a few days to finish up the apples off the tree and then I remembered that I had purchased a unit two weeks back for $5 at a second hand store as it had 3 trays with it. 

I figured I could use the trays off it with the other two bases and sell the base as I didn't need three bases as I have five dehydrators currently. I figured maybe someone with trays that needed a new base as theirs had burned out or something but when I flipped it over to finish washing it up, it had a FD50/30 on it. I figured that it was probably the recalled unit and I didn't want to take any chances with using it myself or trying to sell it so I just threw it out. I don't know if it was even the recalled unit as the recalled one had a specific top mount color on the motor but I couldn't remember if it was the white or gray so just to be safe, I threw it out. 

I decided that I would share the information so that if you know anyone that has a Harvest Maid machine, they can contact Nesco and find out which unit was recalled. It won't get you a new unit as Nesco bought the company from American Harvest over 20 years ago so the company that did the recall hasn't been around for a long time but I just wanted you to be aware. 

The smaller base units do blow hot and dried the apples more like potato chips so they break and snap and they can burn so I have them set super low and they were still very dry so just rotate the trays and check on them so they don't get over dried. 
Click here to see my post comparing dehydrators. I really love my Nesco products and have used them for so many years. They have been a blessing in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment