Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Puerto Rico Update Family and FEMA To the Rescue

  
This week, I thought I would update you on my family in Puerto Rico as things ate not going well there. This was the update on from my niece on her parents this week. "My parents are doing really well! And learning how to take selfies;) They are picking up humanitarian supplies from the church at the airport and delivering them to stake centers. They are also going to all the missionary apartments and trying to clean up what they can and save journals and pictures for the missionaries who had to leave everything behind! They still don't have water or electricity, but they are sure troopers!"

My cousin has been a trauma nurse and then PA for years and now I guess is working for FEMA. We got these updates today from her.


My cousin shared this with the family as his sister was being sent to Puerto Rico, "My sis, as she is leaving an Atlanta hotel for the flight line to board a plane to Puerto Rico. Her DMAT - Disaster Medical Assistant Team is being deployed by FEMA for 2-3 weeks to provide medical care in Puerto Rico. She might be sent up into the hills but is not sure. Good luck and say hi to cousin Missionaries (My brother and his wife) if you bump into them."

Here is her latest email to the family - "Hello all, pouring rain here in Puerto RICO. Saw Elder and Sister (My brothers name here) yesterday. They came to go to lunch with me here at the MASH tent outside of the Trauma Hospital in San Juan! They even brought us m&m's. What bliss. The whole team has enjoyed the comfort treats. Yesterday had a shooting car with 5 victims come roaring up to entrance doors. 2 died I am hearing. Today happened again, but another car following, shooting trying to finish the job. We have big heavily armed scary dudes protecting us. I am trying to send pics but, that might have to wait. I am having a hard time sending texts. I can receive fine, but can't send. Today, it's still pouring rain and now having flash floods around. We sleep in a large tent, but now flooded as well. Still trying to secure shower facilities. All is well here! Lots more of need, these poor folks will be a long time rebuilding! 
Love you all," 
This was an update earlier as we wrote asking if we could help in any way - "Roads are doing better, but some still non passable. No stop lights functioning anywhere. Electricity mostly in San Juan with some other bigger cities. But, even then not consistent or reliable. Water is contaminated. Flooding and slides happening today due to 24 hours of torrential rain. It's really hard to send anything right now in that there is no postal functioning. Really, rare to have any infrastructure functioning. I would say to contribute money to the church's humanitarian fund. The church is sending a tremendous amount of help being coordinated through (My brother and his wife).

This is a huge lesson to all of our family on why we are counseled to have at least 3 or more months stored of water, food, and heating. There are so many people just sitting in their destroyed homes complaining that the government has not done anything to help them. All they have to do was get up and walk to the distribution place, but they want the government to bring to their home. So sad the entitled mentality we are running into. Of course, just like in the states, it's not everyone, but that's all the stupid news chooses to report. Thanks for your prayers and support! Please spread the word to make sure your family is prepared!!!"

I thought I would share these updates as any of us could have a natural disaster of any kind at any time. With all the earthquakes, fires, hurricanes, etc we would be wise to have food and water storage / water filters on hand just in case! 

Hearing all this makes me count my blessings! Have a BLESSED Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment