Thursday, October 16, 2014

Making A Decorative Topper For Jars.

 It was a crazy busy day so the post I had planned will have to wait. Princess Five has a retreat in a few hours and had a game and I was at several functions and am planning a suprise going away party along with all the apple dehydration so forgive this short post but I thought I would share it as I am going to make all the "cork" tops into something cute now that I thought of this creative topper.

I found this cute long neck bottle / jar at a second hand store. Princess Five is doing a little potion and poison collection for Halloween so I thought I would purchase it. Most of the jars for her collection were about $1.50 but the larger alcohol decanters were $5 each.

I love the tops of the decanters as they look like little jars in themselves. 

Several of the little jars have no lids or tops or just corks.

For this cute bottle at the top, I figured I could find something cute to make it decorative so I found this decorative light fixture screw that holds up the hanging glass bottoms to the older type lights. I bought it at a second hand store for 50 cents or less as I wanted to change out a white plastic one I had but I found several in a box of lights I bought so I ended up with extra.

I cut up a larger cork and pushed it into the screw hole and cut it to fit the top of the jar. It didn't take long and I like the results. You can use Gorilla or Super glue to secure it once you have it at the right size.

I am going to start looking for other cute things at the hardware store to make toppers for the other cork tops in her collection. 

I took the wooden top off a hot sauce bottle and pushed cork in it as well and it is the stopper for the other little jar you can see next to the long one at the top. I am going to paint it gold or silver or perhaps black and gold. I think once I get started, I will find several fun tops for the jars she still has that have corks.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be a little less stressful and busy so I can get that other post done but it isn't looking that way as Princess Four is home for a dentist appointment and to get new glasses. I am hoping I can get my back trees pruned as I thought I would have them done already but things haven't gone as planned this week. Isn't that how life is?

No comments:

Post a Comment