Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Spirit Pedicure - Making Shapes on your Nails

Princess Four was visiting this past weekend. I didn't get to spend much time with her due to the visit to my moms I posted about yesterday. 


She has been my back and foot rubbing girl for the past few years and she rubbed my feet for about 25 minutes and I was going to rub hers but asked her if she wanted a pedicure instead. 

She said she did and we proceeded to do a pedicure. She wanted her college colors so show some "spirit" as she is an ambassador. 


She asked Princess Five to do some cute designs on them but Princess Five was a bit tired due to our late night return so I told her to get me some masking tape and some scissors. 

I then cut out some hearts out of masking tape and put them on the big toes. I then sponged on silver and white using a paper towel.

Once the top sponged paint was dry, I used the pointed end of a file to push the tape up and remove the tape hearts. They left great little hearts. 

Here is a post about basic pedicures to get the toes to the base coat place.  If you did this on basic nails, I don't think the result would be as good as you would have light centers with some variation as the nails grew out. With using a base color, they will show up more depending on the contrast color you use on top and they will grow out better as you can fill in the base of the nails with the base-coat color. 
 
 I did need to do some fill on the sides of the orange colored toe as I used fingernail polish when I sponged and it dried quickly.

You can use acrylic paint to sponge over any shape and then use a top coat to seal the acrylic paint on the nails. 

Some people actually paint pictures on the nails using acrylic paints. You can get a finer look as the paint is thinner but it isn't as hard as the nail polish. 

I used free hand with the thin tipped fingernail polish brush to paint on the school letters. I did a few crazy designs on the little toes as letters wouldn't show up well on the smaller toes. 

She wanted silver sparkle on the blue big toe but it only shows up in the right light where as the white on the orange showed up really well I would stick with a solid color as the sparkles only show in light. 

After all the fun, don't forget to do a top coat to seal everything in. It makes it last much longer. It works the same on either toenails or fingernails and I think I will actually try to stamp out some masking tape to see if it would work making smaller more defined shapes. 
 
The stickers don't stay down at the edges as well and get soft with the nail polish on them sometimes so there are a few fun options. Here is a link to a post where we used stickers for letters.

Have fun as you really can't make a mistake. If you do, you just start over with a new base coat. It is all part of the fun. Making the shape of your mascot on the nails would be great fun for spirit week or games.

No comments:

Post a Comment