Thursday, November 7, 2013

What is a Whist... I Found Out Thanks to Flinch.


I have an old Yahtzee game but when I saw this one, it is much older than the "old" one I have. 


The one I remember playing as a child had the blue cup and the pads etc. As a family game, this was one of our favorite along with Masterpiece. Here is a post about my girls and I playing "Masterpiece."

Our family did play Yahtzee and when I was newly married, we would play Yahtzee with my in-laws.


I also like to play electronic Yahtzee and here is a post about that.When I was very pregnant and on bed rest, I would play the electronic Yahtzee often.

By the looks of the date on the Yahtzee game, it was the second run in 1961. The first one was a few years older. I was amazed at all the things this one had. It had the instruction booklet and the holder for the pencils and booklet slot were all in good condition. 


I can't tell on the score sheets but it looks like someone used one of the old rolling copy machines to make score sheets. It is kinda funny that way but I do have some VERY old score sheets that I will put in the box instead. I am not sure where I got the old score sheets but I have them so they will make the set complete. I forgot about them until writing this. 

The dice shaking can is so old that it is paper in-between the metal rings. One of the pencils is really old as well. 

This Flinch game is one I have posted about before. I explained how we played Flinch every Sunday night when we would visit my Grandma M to take out the garbage for her.

Years later, I found the actual game we played there and gave it to my sister.  Here is a post about that find and how the game plays and an explanation about this old Flinch game that I found.  


I share a bit about this game on that post but what I didn't know then was that there was a card stuck in the lid and I pulled out the card and under that were the instructions and I laughed when I saw the title. "Flinch - The acme of parlor games." 

And, what is a "Whist?" So I used Wiki to find out that it is a card game played in the 1800's where you take tricks so something like rummy perhaps. 

The wording on the instructions were just funny and I loved that it showed a man having the copyright in 1901 and 1902 but the Finch Card Co got it in 1903. 

The edition I have is 1913. How wonderful is that? 

I had no idea how old it is. I got rid of the white card covering the lid so I can make sure I can find the instruction the next time.

It is funny that the cards are more decorative then than the newer decks I have now. It seems that the old toys and games were made to last back then. They are all older than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment