Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Painting, Sealing and Fixing the Outlets, Vents and Covers on the Outside of Trailers and RV's

I have been working on this trailer for eight months now. There are always plenty of things to do on it. I think I am about done and then I realize that something else really should be fixed or finished. 


I noticed that the cover for the hot water heater compartment was rusting as well as the vent for the cooking stove. I actually pulled off the cover for the water heater and took it to the store with me so I could match the color of paint as close as possible. 

I couldn't get the exact color but I think part of that is that it has darkened with time. I purchased off white or cream to cover the vents thinking that would match the trailer side the best. You can tell me if you think it matches well. 


I just masked around the stove exhaust because I had already removed it when I replaced the butyl tape on the seal. I sprayed it with two coats of paint and I think it came out great. It would have been better and easier if I had sprayed it when I had it off months ago but it is a work in progress. I didn't want to have to use more tape by taking it off again as the tape I used would now need to be replaced for a good seal.

I removed the cover for the water heater and also removed the aluminum screen that vents the heater before painting it. I just thought it looked better with the screen not being painted. I don't think it would have mattered but it was easy to remove so I took it out before painting it. I did two coats on both sides of the cover just to make sure I had good coverage and wouldn't need to do it again. 


On the outlet cover outside, there was a gap between the trailer and the cover. The foam piece between the trailer and the "cover" had slipped and water could get in there if it hadn't already. I took a video of me showing how I took it apart and painted it and how to put it back on the trailer. It looked much better painted but the better thing about doing it was that I was able to put butyl tape under the foam pad and the trailer to help hold the foam into place and also help seal the outlet from any water.


The painted vents really make the trailer look newer than it is as the rusty areas were making it look old. 

Here is a link to the video on youtube where I show them all.  

I painted them on paper towels as sometimes with light colors of paint, if you use newspapers, the ink will come off your hands onto the light painted finish so I chose to use the paper towels. 

Also, on the video, I forgot to say that I removed the springs before painting the outlet cover. They don't work as well with paint on them so it was easy to just unhook the top of them and pull them out the back of the cover. 

You can see that the springs were lined up with the screws for the outlet on the rug. When I remove things like that, I like to lay them in the order that I removed them so you can see that the longer screws that go on the outside edges are placed outside. The little screw goes in the middle so it is placed there. The springs go on the upper corners so they are placed higher. 

In the past when I haven't done this, sometimes my screws and smaller parts get messed up and I can't remember where they go. So, I either tape them near the spot where they were taken from or they are laid out on a flat surface in the spot where they were removed figuratively. It works for me but I know others have a different method that works for them. 

Once the cover was dry, (I like to let it dry overnight so the paint is really cured and hardened) I put the springs back on through the back and hooked them onto the cover. If you don't use the springs, it will still work but may not stay closed or open. 

I just realized I didn't take a picture of the cover back on the trailer with the seal etc. 

It is late and dark and cold so you won't be getting the finished product picture. You will be able to see it on the finished trailer pictures probably. Hopefully, that will be this week sometime! I will be very happy and THANKFUL to see it finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment