Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Living the Good Life - Passes All My Understanding


I don't know if you have ever had the feeling overtake you of complete satisfaction, happiness, or contentment in your life.

I know I haven't had it many times during my life. I am usually so busy that I can't seem to feel much of anything other than what is happening at the moment. 

The other day, I was sitting at my dinner table, not the dining room table but the one that faces the back of the house. I was eating lunch. 

I was looking out the window and the house was silent and the day before had been a very good day where I felt good and had gotten lots off my "to do" list and so I was just contemplating. I had the warmest feeling overtake me and I looked out at my back yard with the sun shining and the thought came to my mind that "I am living the good life." I went and got my camera and took pictures right then of what I was looking at so I could remember the feelings of that moment. 

My mind continued to ponder on all of the beautiful things I am blessed to have in my life. Not only a home but all the beauty in it and the wonderful windows that bring warmth into the house and beautiful blinds that are so easy to open and close. (I have had some in the past that weren't the greatest.) 

I have my big shade tree, my "picket fence" yard, my tire swing, flower and garden beds, fruit trees, cars, trailer, art, electronics, dead end street, and the list went on and on in my head. 

I realized I am living the "good life" that so many people dream about. In all the movies people say they want a few kids, dead end street in suburbia, with a fenced yard, swing, shade tree etc. 

I felt so contented with my life. My children are amazing and as I watch them in their lives I am constantly amazed that they came from me. Why was I so blessed to have such an angel sent into my care? How do I "rate" to get such amazing beings sent from Heaven above to allow me to be part of their world. 

I wondered in amazement how I ended up on my dead end street. How I ended up with five princesses. Even some of the health struggles we had to get them here and some of the struggles they had starting out.

I wonder how each little thing had to happen just when it did for all the events to line up to get my house. There were two other people in line before us and an offer on the table. Just the events that brought us to this state, to this house, to having these girls. It was like God opened up my mind for just a second to allow me to see His hand in lining up all these events to make it possible for me to be sitting at that table that very day enjoying a good meal and the view and the sun. 

I could imagine the angels working hard to make all of those things happen just in the right order and at the right time to allow me to have the experiences I needed for progression. Difficult as some of those lessons have been, they have all been for my learning and good. 

Talking to someone I don't know really well today, I was describing some trials I had while raising one of my girls when she was younger (see this post) this woman has children that age now and I thought how guided I have been with each of my girls and how best to help THEM. Each was so different and things that worked with one child didn't necessarily work with another. 

I KNOW my Heavenly Father guided me at specific times how best to help each daughter reach her fullest potential. Even if it was something I wasn't comfortable with or experienced in, He knew that it was what they needed. 
 
So, I realized that I am living the "good life" and that most people on this earth would take my spot in a heart beat. It made me wonder, "Why am I so blessed?" It brought to my mind a song written by Michael McLean - " One of the Lucky Ones?"  and I wonder why I was born in the USA to wonderful parents who gave me every opportunity to go to school and college and taught me right from wrong. I couldn't find a video link for that song.

When I pondered about how my life lined up and how things worked out, another song by Cherie Call called "Passes all my Understanding" comes to my mind. Here is a link to that song.
Here are some of the lyrics:

"He talked about the universe,
He talked about Saturn's rings
He said, "I might be an atheist,
Except for just one thing:

It passes all my understanding
How it all worked out just right
The distance that we live from the sun,
The stars that shine at night
We may prove that it was just an accident
But how did it begin?
It passes all my understanding"

I told him, "You are a scholar;
You know things that I don't know
But I believe a God in heaven
Made everything below
And I know we are his children;
I've known it since I was two
But when it comes to being struck with awe,
I'm just like you

It passes all my understanding,
All the beauty we have here
From the majesty of the canyons
To a tiny baby's ear
And even when I can't believe it,
He still believes in me
It passes all my understanding"


As I think about my life, my kids, my home, my family and my religion and how I ended up where I am..... It passes all my understanding how I am so blessed to be living the good life I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment