Monday, November 11, 2013

Fixing Leaks on RV or Trailer Roof Vents - Part 2 - Replacing the Gaskets and Covers


My trailer needed new gaskets for the roof air vents. 
 
I had to special order these gaskets into the RV part store in our small town. It took a few days to get them but what shocked me the most was the price. Little rubber made gaskets cost more than100 feet of rubber trim. 

As you can see by the top and second picture how the sun dries out the gasket on the roof vent and they crack and leak. You can see that the top seal was crumbling before I removed it but the second was just stiff and hard and bowing out.

These were just about $20 for both by the time I got them in. I had replaced them in the past but I don't remember how long ago it was as we have had the trailer for about 13 years, I am guessing about 8 years ago. 

They are VERY easy to change. You start by opening the roof vent. Crank it all the way open and remove the old vent gasket. If it has started to crumble, take all the melted gunk off making sure there is a good clean surface for the gasket to sit on. 

Once the old one is removed and the vent top is clean, you start putting the new vent gasket on. There really is only one way for you to put it on. There is a slit and you just slip the slit over the metal edges. Start at the back so that there won't be any leakage at the joint. 

When putting it on, be careful as I scraped my knuckle on the rough top on the corner and it is rough metal. I put the gasket on when it was cold so the rubber was cold and made it hard to stick on. It would go on much easier if the temperature was warmer. 
 
You can see in one of the pictures that I stretched it tight when putting it on and I actually had a bit overlap until I redid it more relaxed than tight. I just gave it more space on the corners pushing the gasket into the corners tightly and with that, it matched up perfectly. 

When I was in the trailer the last few years I could always see just a bit of sky through the corners of the sky vents. When I screwed them down after putting the new gaskets on them, the seal was tighter than it has ever been. I think the new gaskets are actually better than the old and I think they will probably age better than the others did. 

I was excited about that as sometimes when we camp, it is very cold that early in the season and I like having it as airtight as possible. Also, the wind would catch and rattle as there was air flow with the gap, I think now the vent will sit tighter on the gasket and not move as much with the wind. Yea for that.

On the covers, I recommend buying the lifetime vent covers. They are darker and don't let as much light in but I was tired of replacing the others every two years. I put the receipt and the warranty in the trailer documents so if I need a new one, it is free.

To take off the vent cover, go to the backside of the vent where the hinge is on the roof. There is a little piece of aluminum on the side that is bent down to keep it on. Pull that metal up. From the inside of the trailer, unscrew the handle off that twists up the cover. 

Once that is off, pull the vent up as far as you can, you can see in the photos that there is a large circular hole at the back on the inside. Pull the metal circular holder out of the slider. Once that holder is released, slide the lid off the hinge in the direction of the loose metal. Slide the new one into the hinge. Once it is on, push the metal end down to keep it from sliding out when moving. Then, open the lid as far as needed to place the round circular holder through the back round hole on the slider. Once you have that on, close the vent and go into the trailer and screw the handle back onto the vent cover. It should open and close easily and the seal should be tight. 


Thinking back now, I think the gasket was sealed to the old vent lid that cracked. When I put the new lid on, the seal was never tight. I think the new gasket will "seal the deal."

No comments:

Post a Comment