Monday, January 7, 2013

Day Five of the Perfect Birthday Gift


Several things happened while I was helping my sister that I wanted to share; In one day, I found coins, (click here for the first post about that) flipped open a history book she had and it opened to a page and my eye's landed on 111 reference number. (Click here for the post about that)

Later, I went to her kitchen to eat something, and turned on the radio. The next song that came on.... You guessed it, Jimmy Eats World, "The Middle" came on. I turned it up and my sister came in and we both had a good laugh about it. (Click here for the post about that.)  

 I also was going to share some thoughts on things I had while helping my sister and show you the final product. She can't thank me enough and her kids are so happy as we started on their rooms the last night I was there. They have the paint and are ready to work on the storage room on their own now that the main house is almost finished. 

I was looking for something to do one night when I had finished the stuff I was working on and she asked if I would fold socks. I was glad she did this as I had some issues with that which needed to be let go. 
 
Growing up one of eight children meant we  owned lots of socks. For some reason, they never got matched out of the wash but got thrown into one of the folding changing tables and when it was our job to fold socks, it would take all day. Perhaps it was a good thing in the end because I am a very good organizer and sorter and maybe that is where it originated but she had a large laundry basket full. With just the girls and I, I have a small amount of unmatched socks so perhaps 20 odd socks. Folding those socks while watching an episode (it actually took a few episodes) of "Numb3rs" gave me a chance to reflect on my poor mother and all she had to do to raise 8 children. 


Five was about all I could do and she had 4 boys also and three were at the beginning a few years apart. That in itself is amazing. I wonder how she functioned with cloth diapers and that many children in an age when the man read the paper rather than helping with meals, clean-up and house chores.

I was glad that my sister asked, so I could take the chance to appreciate my mother more. 

Another small task I got to do was to draw the red lines back onto the air hockey table. She commented on how with being played, the red lines had worn off. I suggested a red Sharpie. As you know I am a Sharpie "Junkie" and it worked wonders. I thought I would show it in case someone else needed to do that. 

The last task I finished for them wasn't probably what she had ever thought of but as I prayed what I could do to help her before leaving after the last few things I had done, I got two inspirations. One was to put all their legos in matching bins on the little shelf that they have built in. I wasn't sure why I had that thought but voiced it and they were all THRILLED with the idea.  
 
My sister was thrilled because they were all in boxes in the boys closet. She wanted it cleaned out so they could go through their clothes and toys and get rid of some but the Legos were taking up half the closet. 

The kids were thrilled because they like to play with them but their room is a bit small and dark with no overhead lighting and they usually like to play with them while watching a movie and having cousins or friends over. 

I suggested matching bins so my sister sent me shopping for bins. I wanted to make sure they were latched with a good locking top so her grandchildren wouldn't have a problem getting into them. I was able to find these Sterilite tough boxes which are hard for me to even open. I had planned on getting the see through one's shown in the photo but thought the kids may want to get into them, the colors would distract from the room showing through the bin and the locks on those tops wasn't as good as the others. So, the tan color matched great. You can see it all organized in the top photo.


The boys and I sorted what hadn't been sorted by color and I labeled the bins by color and the boys were very excited that they can now play with them and they will be easy to clean up having a place for them. 

That got my sister cleaning out the boys room and I talked with her daughter about ideas for her room. Ideas on decorating and painting and we moved a few things while we talked which made her happy. I hope I can find a weekend to go up and help her paint as "getting the kids rooms organised" was the other inspiration that I felt after praying. They are so busy with school and life that I felt the kids needed their "realms" to be organized and at peace over having the storage room organized. Once their rooms and the house is in order, she can do the storage room one box at a time. Here is my nephew wiping down the storage room shelves getting them ready to paint.
 
One other small task was to go through the electronic chords. She pulled all the phones, adapters, house phones, rca plugs, computer and electronic items from around the house and we tested all the headphones, plugs etc and I took some for recycling and we wrapped up all the cords and wires and bagged them according to type so she could fit them all in a tote for storage along with discarding computer equipment to the second hand store as well. 

Here is a pile of boxes we made unpacking things. We threw out many boxes that weren't in the best shape as well. We just found out while I was there that my younger brother and his family will be moving down by me about ten minutes away so those moving boxes will come in handy this next month as they get ready to move. Funny how God works. I help my sister unpack the week we find out my brother needs boxes to pack. 

I look forward to spending more time with his adorable family in the near future!  

No comments:

Post a Comment