Thursday, January 10, 2013

Cute Reusable Homemade Diapers - Other Hygiene Info


My sister has been making these cute diapers for a few months now. Her youngest child is long out of diapers but she now has (or soon will have) three grandchildren. All girls.... Just had to throw that in as we LOVE girls around our house. 

Anyway, she decided to make some of these diapers for her granddaughters. She has been buying the fabrics each time she gets a 40% off coupon in her email or the mail. The outer fabric is a bit expensive as it has a waterproof lining in the inside. "Rubber pants," but it is built into the diaper. 

Also, with modern technology, these "rubber" fabrics are the cutest. Look at all the cute fabrics folded on the right to see all the cute patterns. They have both cute boy and girl patterns. 

They use velcro to fasten it at the top. There are four types of fabrics involved. If you look online, there are many types of ways to make them. 

Most people that actually use them say that they don't like the pocket type I show here because then you have to change out the entire diaper if they wet.

The liners are made from very soft fleece feeling flannel or cotton. It just needs to be absorbent fabric with several layers to it. You can sew it in strips like this or mold them a bit more to the baby's bottom and leg shape. More like an hourglass. 

The inside fabric of the diaper is a wicking fabric that pulls the  moisture from the baby away so it is a soft polyester fabric that doesn't hold moisture. Many people have experimented with different types and it seem as if they all have their favorite.

My thinking is to go to the fabric store and talk with a worker. Feel the fabrics and find the one that you like best. 

You also need a nylon fabric for the leg edge to sew over the seam. The solid colors look good with the patterned fabrics as you can see. 


You will also need velcro and thin elastic for the back edge to be gathered. 

My grandmother made these out of flannel for us when I had my daughter 25 years ago next week. She didn't add the Velcro of course but for the most part, she had the rest down. 

For my last baby, I had some of these that I store bought but they didn't have the cute waterproof fabric that they have now 15 years ago. 

I tried to hold the pouch open so you can see the plastic lining on the outer fabric. Like I said earlier, most don't use the pouch but use the liners next to baby so they can just change out the liner and not the entire diaper. It is just a preference. 

You can purchase these. I probably have 20 of them for emergency purposes and pray I never need to use them but have them just in case someone needs them and we can't buy disposables. 

My sister is also looking at feminine hygiene options for emergency purposes. I have purchased "moon cups" and flannel pads for our family but try to buy a year supply on the case lot sale of that type of stuff. I would hate to have to use any of the stuff I have for emergency but my sister found someone online who crochets tampons. That is a new one for me....... Don't know that I ever want to have to do something like that. I haven't searched it out myself but if this post got you thinking about being prepared.... I did something right. They sell moon cups at local stores in the feminine hygiene section or you can buy them online. Take note that they have sizes for pre-baby and post-baby. Good luck getting prepared..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment