Friday, January 4, 2013

Day Four of the Perfect Birthday Gift

Today was busy but I didn't do anything major. I organized her sewing threads. She has lots, but I was able to get them organized and pulled off the more empty threads and put them onto bobbins to consolidate. I organized the bobbins, pins, sewing machine needles, etc.

 
My sister now has a few grandchildren. I worried about making sure that all her pins, sharp tools and any small items were put in good containers. We used Tupperware to put all that stuff in so that after she uses it, it is easy to keep it safe from little fingers. 
 
I took photos of these different thread holders to show options. She has two larger clear containers I like as you can put thread in between the pegged holes and they hold quite a few bobbins. 

There is this white type of thread holder that holds all sorts of things as well as thread. I have used all types in the past. In the end, I used a two shelf unit and stuck them in it as it was the best use of space. I think all these types of holders aren't consolidated but make the thread portable

I finished up the thread and organizing the sewing area. Next, I worked on organizing her zippers. 

I got them organized by size. They fit into two plastic shoe bins. One for regular and one for the extra long. She is working on making foam cold winter clothing and foam sleeping bags so she has some VERY long zippers.   

After the zippers, I worked on her yarn. She had it all sorted by color but I suggested she sort and store it by type. I took all the cotton, wool, bobble, variegated, and fiber yarn and put them together in groups. 
 
After that, I took all the acrylic and sorted it by color. I put three paper boxes in the shelving unit and put the different colors of yarn into the boxes so that all the colors are showing. This was similar to what I did with my yarn. Here is a post about that.  

I then labeled all the bins with tape and sharpie so that she would know where everything is located. I found a few more items that needed to be put with similar items today but for the most part, I think that we got it all. 

She worked on the storage/work room getting the shelves vacuumed out and washed down so if all goes well tomorrow, we can start painting now that the inside is organized. 
 
It is so fun to see the kids come into the room and make comments on how light and organized it is or to come in and be able to find the video they wanted to watch within seconds. I can tell that everyone is happy with the new arrangements and organization. 

They moved in last March and with all the work on the yard and updating, the basement hasn't been the priority.  I'll hopefully be able to get the room painted tomorrow for the most part, it seems like my Princesses are missing me. I miss them as well but know that my work here is helping my sister. I am blessed to have them all in my life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment