Monday, September 3, 2012

Sticker Through the Wash - Ruined Shirt.... Nope


 Many years in a row, the girls would go to carnivals or field trips and forget to take their name tag off or leave stickers on their shirts from the Dr. office etc. They would go through the wash and dryer and ruin the shirt. 

Several times, when it was a large name tag, I would just throw the shirt away as I couldn't get the sticky off the shirt. 

Princess number three came home for the Labor Day Holiday and brought me a shirt and asked me if I could "Save" it because she washed and dried it with the tag on it. It was sticky and I had doubts of being able to save it. She was upset and told me it was one of her favorite shirts because it was so comfortable. 

Renewed with that urging, I put my mind on task and asked myself; "If it were a sticky price tag on an item, what would I do?"

With that, I usually take packing tape and stick it over the sticky spot, rub it on and then pull it off quickly. So, I told her to get me some Duct Tape. 

She brought me some sticky tape that wasn't Duct brand but that was because we didn't want to waste any of our large variety of tape on a shirt. Here is a post about our large variety of Duct Tape. 

You can search at the bottom in the search bar for some Duct Tape crafts that we have tried also. 

So, armed with the tape, the first thing I did was to stretch the shirt. This pulled the sticky pieces making them kind of flaky. This way they are easier to peel off. 

Then, place a piece of Duct tape over the sticky part, rub it in and then pull the piece of tape off quickly. Continue doing that until all the sticky is off. It took me about the length of a tv episode to get it all off. I was suprised that I was actually able to get it all off. I had to get new tape several times but as you can see in the pictures, it did take off the sticky, flaky sticker. It may help if you put it in the fridge or freezer for a minute first to make the sticky a bit harder and less sticky but it worked and her shirt was saved but I don't ever want to spend my time doing that again so I hope she remembers next time. 

The other funny thing was that her sister asked; "Why was the name tag on her belly?" We both laughed but she answered saying her hair was down and it kept getting caught in the sticky so she moved it down. 

Hope this post helps others who have had to deal with the "Sticky Monster" from the dryer.




No comments:

Post a Comment