Friday, September 14, 2012

Customize your Birkenstocks - Retired my Favorite Shoes




 About two years ago, I found these wonderful Birkenstock flip flops. They quickly became my favorite shoe and I wore them daily even in the winter if there wasn't snow. 

However, they couldn't hold up to my gardening and yard work as they cracked across the center. So, I went on a search while shopping in the major metropolises and was unable to find another pair. They are for sale online but in the mean time, I was able to find this pair of more traditional Birkenstocks at a used store for $5 but new in the box. 

Princess number 4 wore them for "Senior" day with some long socks and a 50's dress. I haven't been able to bring myself to wear them as I don't like the back straps. Having worn flip flops for two year, I am too used to being able to toss them off quickly. 

I tried to wear them and hated the buckle on the back and then one day, I met a woman wearing some white Birkenstocks that were really cute. I commented on them and she told me that she bought traditional Birkenstocks and cut them into her own pattern. I would never have thought to purchase $100 shoes and then take a knife to them to make my own pattern. 

Bolstered by her creativity, I thought to myself that for $5, I could take a chance on cutting off the back straps and wearing them like slip on sandals as I can't seem to force myself to keep them on all the time and taking the back strap on and off makes me not want to wear them. 

I don't like the style as much as the Flip Flop but I LOVE the support that Birkenstocks give and they are time tested. I will probably splurge and buy myself a pair online for next summer but for walking around the house and just running errands, these custom Birks will do just fine. I don't know how I survived with cheap flip flops all those years. I also love that I don't have to wear my arch supports when I wear them. If you haven't ever tried on Birkenstocks, you may just want to find a store that sells them and try a pair. I must warn you however that once you have a pair, you will never go back.....   

6 comments:

  1. Do you still have the old pair? ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably don't have that pair but we go through lots of pairs at our house. Why?

      Delete
    2. They look perfect! I'd love to add them to my collection!
      Could you email me if you find these or similarly "loved" ones that style please? :)

      Delete
    3. https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/1224060/birkenstock-gizeh-sandal?color=BLUE#

      Here are some size 42 new birks for $50 half off original price. The other place I have gotten them yearly for cheap for all our family is "famous Footwear" as they have buy one get one sales so we get them for about $50 as well. I guess I got rid of that pair and I am still wearing my current pair. The problem with the cork base is it cracks and is painful to wear once it does. They last us about a year before the cracks get painful. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  2. I recently received an Arizona in the imitation leather (hard vinyl) version. It is waaaay too long, at least 1 1/2 inches past my toes. How can I shorten them, they cannot be returned or replaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for writing. I am not sure if the shoes are too long or the straps. If it is the straps, I just cut them using scissors. If the shoe bed is too long, you could maybe take them into a local store that sells them and see if they would let you trade sizes. If that or returning them isn't an option, the only thing I can think of is that by heating the soles accidently, the soles shrunk. The one that was closest to the fire shrunk up to an inch shorter than the cork so I wonder if you heated the base toward the toe using a hair dryer or something, perhaps it would shrink. Then the glue loosens when it is hot and perhaps you could hold the shrunk base to the cork and then cut the cork under your feet shorter but I worry that would make them fit funny due to the way the base is molded. If I were you, I would sell the new ones online on ebay or a local yardsale site on facebook or the paper classifieds and purchase a new pair that would fit. I would try them on at a store to make sure you are getting the right size. Best wishes! Have a Blessed Day!

      Delete