Thursday, June 2, 2011

Whirley Pop - It May Save Your Life

My sister called me a few years back telling me about the "Whirley Pop" corn popper. She told me if I ever saw one in my travels to buy it for her. She LOVES the popcorn it makes. She takes it camping with her and uses it all the time at home.


She has me buy them so she can give them as gifts. I found a few for her and bought one for me over the years but I like my hot air popper to make my popcorn for my popcorn treat as it has no heated oil on it. However, in the past few years, I have been using coconut oil to do most of my cooking and I use the grade A coconut oil on my eating popcorn because I like the slight hint taste of coconuts on my popcorn.



Over the past few months, I have found a few new Whirley Pop makers with the recipe books at second hand stores. I guess because microwave popcorn is so available, people don't like the old method of making it.



If you have done any research about microwave popcorn, you may just change your tune about the ease of it. My sister let me know about this as I don't watch TV or read the paper so I hadn't heard about the problems with microwave popcorn and the many deaths of workers (click the link to read about it) in the plant and about the workers getting ill from working in the plants. So, I have begun to change my tune about microwave popcorn. The link above is just to a google search on "death microwave popcorn plant."



So, I thought I would buy a "Whirley Pop" popcorn pan for each of my girls for when they leave home. I still mostly use my air popper but when I am not worried about the fats, I like the coconut oil in the Whirley pop maker.



The kids like making it because they get to twirl the handle on the top which makes it fun as they are "helping" to make it. Put in enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Pour in enough popcorn to put a single layer on the bottom of the pan and it will just about fill the popper. Add seasoning and serve.

I use the coconut oil as it is healthier at the higher cooking temperature than other oil and popcorn usually needs higher heat. I like my popcorn with added melted coconut oil and lightly salted.



I have blue popcorn and regular popcorn and put both in tonight so you could see the difference. Notice that the blue popcorn doesn't pop as light and fluffy and many were more like corn nuts than actually popped corn. It is much tougher and hard to eat as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment