Monday, December 2, 2019

Giving Thanks at Thanks Giving - Family Parties and Several Road Issues

 We were blessed to be able to go to a few family functions over the holiday week.

I had a niece that was having a wedding shower and we were having a family Thanksgiving dinner and party get together as well. Since I don't live near most of my siblings, it takes us lots of driving time to go to the parties and functions.

We gave ourselves an extra hour to get to the party as I was in charge of the party games and some food preparation so I left early for our long drive and my girls and I were driving our cars together as I would be headed home after the parties and the girls would be headed to their homes.

On our way to the party. Princess one notified us that there were road closures as there were warning signs on the highway. I wasn't really worried about it as we had hours of travel before getting to where the road closure was on the highway. 

The girls were in the lead and were using GPS to try and get off the highway before the closure in hopes we could go around without much stress. We looped around and around under the highway and they not only closed the highway, they closed the frontage roads so people were driving around and around in residential areas but we just kept moving closer and closer to our destination with each round of turns and finally, we were able to get onto a road that passed the area of the closure and get past the closure and then were able to get back onto the highway. 

As we passed the highway, I was able to snap a few pictures. There were seven fire trucks, an ambulance, and a propane gas truck where they were off loading the fuel from the truck that overturned. 

We saw police from the highway patrol, and many cities as well as road workers covering every entrance and exit of the highway and ends of the frontage roads as they were worried the truck may blog up with a spark which would have blown the highway on both sides and the frontage on both sides of the highway. 

You don't know how good you have it until it is gone. It couldn't have happened on a worse day as everyone was headed home after the holiday. The road was still closed when I was going home but we stopped for a few minutes and it was opened by the time we were ready to leave. 

I dropped Princess Two at her home and headed on my way. I passed a police officer pulled over on the side of the road at one point with about six cars lined up and one on the opposite side of the road. It looked like there was an accident and it caused cars to brake and the cars behind hitting the car in front and then then next stopped and the one behind hitting that car etc. I was glad to have not been around at the time of that accident. 

Princess Two sent me a news article stating that another section of highway was closed for several hours last night and my guess is that there was a driver that was looking at the accident I saw and caused another accident where three cars were so wrecked that they closed a section of the highway for many hours. 

I counted myself grateful to have made it to the party and home safely. I was also grateful that all my kids and family members were able to arrive home safely. 

I played the bouncy ball game and the "This or that" game and then we had the wedding shower for my niece and it was a fun day. The driving wasn't all that fun, but I still count myself blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment