Thursday, April 4, 2019

Rehydrating Your Play-Doh or Play Dough - How To fix Dry Clay

I blogged so many things over the years before I was able to put videos up on youtube so often times I think I have already done something when I actually either took a video but didn't upload it, or I blogged about something but didn't make a video of it. 

I got to spend some time with my grandchildren recently and we did lots of fun activities while I was visiting with them. One afternoon, we were able to get out some play-doh and play with the toys my daughter had with the clay. 

When I opened many of the containers, much of the dough had dried out and was crumbly. Even thought it was crumbling, the kids were still having fun. 

I figured I could help the situation while playing with them. I added some water to all the dry containers and let them sit until I had time to mix them up. If you aren't in a hurry, you can just put water in the container and put it back in the cupboard until you want to play with it next, as it will absorb the water as it sits. 

If you want to play with it right away, just add some water into the container and put your finger in the container and start pushing the clay against the side of the container and it will start to soften immediately. or if you want it faster, just flatten it on something and pour water over the entire amount for a few minutes and then mix by hand.

If the play-doh is rock hard, I don't know what would happen if you just let it sit for a few days in water as I haven't ever tried to rehydrate some hard clay. But, I have gotten nearly dry clay to moisten back up. 

I made a video of this and figured I would share it here along with the pictures. You can see it dry and falling into pieces, then the next one you can see I am mixing it and it is looking sticky. It does get super sticky and messy on your hands as you are mixing the water back in but as you play with it, it gets less sticky and then gets to the right consistency. 

In the past, I used to throw it out and make a new batch using cream of tarter, which is quite expensive, so I find it cheaper to buy the dollar store brands and just keep them moist so I will have them for when the kids come to visit. 

As you can see, the kids enjoyed playing with the play-doh with grandma and grandma sure enjoyed playing anything with the kids! It is the best part of my world!~ 

Have a blessed and grandkids filled day!

No comments:

Post a Comment