Friday, April 19, 2019

Making a Glass Candy Dish - A Thoughtful Gift Part 1

Princess One is really good at seeing what someone likes and gifting them things they would enjoy. She has suggested many gifts due to my talking about them and for Christmas, she hit the nail on the head again! 

She wrote me the cutest card having the kids sign it or draw their hand on it and gave me the gift of a glass experience! That may sound like a weird thing to give someone but if you come into my house, I have hand blown glass pieces all over my house. 

I LOVE that each piece is unique and one of a kind! I know it isn't very functional and have tried to get rid of some pieces but rather than having plants in my kitchen window, or candles like I used to have, I now have colored glass pieces. 

She thought it would be fun for me to have my own experience blowing glass or making something glass. She looked around online to find a place that would offer those experiences and be close enough I could travel to do it. She found several options and then picked the one she thought would be best for me. 

She had me look online at the things I could make as you have to schedule your appointment according to the time it takes to make the item. One the website I didn't see the type of flowers I saw at the actual studio but for the most part, what you see on the website is what you will make. 
I love that at the studio, they have flowers in all colors on the color selection stand and you can mix and match the colors that you like together so basically, anything you make will be unique to you as you will pick unique colors and you will pull it differently or blow it differently than anyone else. 

I asked my girls which they thought I should make and they all said that a candy dish would be more functional but I really liked the flowers once I got there but figured I would do the candy dish as it will eventually end up with Princess One and the flower isn't as functional. 

The worker was super friendly and allowed me to do as much as possible giving me a good chance at the experience. I thought it was funny that she asked me if I wanted her to "fix" the odd shape of the bowl but I really like that it is more of a leaf shape. 

I think it would be a fun date or family activity with my girls at some point. I loved that Princess One was thinking of something that brings me joy. 

I have been uploading the video all day and then took a video of the dish and I am on my third attempt to upload it so I am going to do a part 1 and 2 for this so I can share the finished product on my next blog.  The video is super loud due to the fans to keep the room cool as there were three furnaces keeping the glass at over 2000 degrees so there are parts in the video where it is hard to hear but even if you watch it in fast speed, it is cool to see how it takes shape and see the experience. 

The studio has classes for blowing, shaping and stained glass. I LOVE that they give you the opportunity to learn those skills. I spent another 1/2 hour looking around the studio and marveling at all the beautiful art. Even the bathroom had many pieces of art on the wall. 

There are three pieces in there for sale I would LOVE to buy. There is a $90,000 stained glass window of Christ. There are two huge chess pieces all in glass and they didn't have prices as the small pieces 1/10 size were $100. The last set I would love is the elements. Earth, wind, fire, and water. 

They had the coolest dip in the floor where they filled it with led lights and have all sorts of glass in it and you walk over it. Very creative. I'll share more in my next blog. 

Have a Blessed Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment