Monday, April 8, 2019

Broccoli Chicken and Rice Freeze Ahead of Time Casserole - A Long Time Favorite

It was a full year ago that I took the pictures and video for this blog. 

The weird thing is, that they were both uploaded six months ago or so, and I just never wrote the blog and finished listing the video. I went to make this for my kids coming home this week, and couldn't find it on my blog. I had to look in my draft folder on youtube to figure out it never got blogged and listed. 

I made it for Princess One when she had her last baby, as she requested that I make it, as it was always a family favorite when the older kids were younger, but as my life got crazy, I stopped making it. I made it for my kids this weekend and the middle ones said it was familiar and they remembered the taste and smell of it but the younger ones didn't remember it. 

It was then that I remembered why, Princess Three and Four had dairy allergies when they were younger, and Princess Four wouldn't eat anything with butter or cheese in it because the allergy was so bad, so I stopped making all the cheesy casseroles and forgot about it after so many years of not making it. 

I made this casserole thirty years ago all the time. My older kids remember me making massive batches of this in casserole oven dishes, and freezing them so we had this, lasagna, and chicken cheesy enchiladas in the freezer all the time. 

When anyone needed a dinner when they had a baby or were sick, I could just grab one of those three "meal in a pan dinner" items and buy a loaf of french bread and a bag of salad, and take it to the family. Being frozen, if they didn't want to eat it that night, they could keep it frozen for a later time. 

If I knew the kids of the needy family were alone, I would bake the dish before taking it to them but for the most part, when the church groups are taking in meals to someone in need, the family may end up with too much food being taken in. 

By sending the meal in frozen, they can keep it until they have a bad day and need the help having a meal they can just pop into the oven. I will share how that works below. 

Before freezing the meal, I cover the dish with Saran / Plastic wrap, and then I cover that with aluminum foil. I then write the following baking instructions on the top of the aluminum foil with a Sharpie. 

"Remove aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Replace the aluminum foil on the top of the container and put in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Check to make sure the cheese is melted all the way through the center and if it is, remove the foil and brown the top for 10 to 15 min. Serve. Love, Thesecretisgratitude Family" 

Here is the recipe: Chicken Rice and Broccoli Casserole 

Ingredients

1
cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
2
cups cooked meat shredded or cubed
1
tablespoon butter or margarine
1
large onion, chopped (1 cup) 
1
loaf (16 oz. box) VELVEETA™ Original Cheese, cut into cubes
1
can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken or mushroom soup
1
cup milk
1
sleeve Ritz type crackers
2
cups fresh or frozen broccoli florets (1/2 inch)
1 1/2
tablespoon butter or margarine, melted

Steps

  • 1
    Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Crush the Ritz crackers in the package using the back of a butter knife into medium sized pieces. Use a bit of butter to brown the crackers. Put 3/4 of the toasted Ritz into the bottom of the baking dish and put the rest aside as a topping on the finished casserole. 
  • Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in cheese, soup, milk and rice. Cook, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted and rice is nearly cooked.
  • 3
    Stir in broccoli and chicken. Spoon into baking dish. Sprinkle the toasted Ritz over rice mixture.
  • 4
    Bake uncovered 30 to 35 minutes or until light brown on top and bubbly around edges. If you want to freeze it, follow the instructions at the top of this blog post. 
The recipe changes as I have different meats or cheese available or different crackers I need to use. It tastes good no matter how I make it. 

I have a funny story about this meal. We had friends that were in our church congregation and we became really close. The girls called them "Grandma and Grandpa" and we are still close to the woman today as her husband passed away a few years back. We invited them to dinner and I served this among other things. The husband asked if he could have more of the casserole, and I said he could. 

His wife said, "Of course he will eat it if he doesn't know what is in it!" and I was confused. Everyone loves this meal. He asked what she was talking about. She said, "It has broccoli in it!" He said, I don't want anymore." I was confused and he said, "I hate broccoli!" 

This man was 60ish! As long as he didn't know it was broccoli he loved it! He said, "If George Bush doesn't have to eat broccoli, neither do I!" 

It was the family joke for some time whenever we would eat this. My oldest daughter asked me today if this was the meal he wouldn't eat as the girls were talking about how good the meal was! It made her laugh! 

I made two larger dishes full of this and they are nearly gone. I told the girls I made lots so they could take them home and even with barbecue pulled pork, turkey soup, lots of fresh fruit, rolls, a large container of eggs, bacon, ham, and hash browns, and more in the fridge, there is a half of a pan left of this! None of the girls took any home as I still have a few days with Princess Ones family! 

I think the girls will be making this on their own and are happy to have the recipe on the blog where they can look it up! 

Have a Blessed and good food filled Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment