Wednesday, March 14, 2018

A New Camera For My Car - Safety First

I shared a few months ago about my father helping me get a new car. I LOVE the car and am so grateful to have a comfortable car that is reliable and beautiful. I have one issue with the car and this week, I was able to rectify that issue so I am SUPER happy.

Princess Two came down to switch out cars as she was having some issues with the car she was driving. I have Princess Fours car here while she is on her mission so she swapped for that while the other gets looked at.

We were shopping at Walmart when I struggled to see behind me and almost hit someone. The way the car is built, there are huge blind spots and it was before the rear cameras were standard on this type of car. The rear window is super high and basically backing up, I can only see the upper chest on an adult and then no kids or obsticles and anyone walking can be in the huge blind spots on the sides and twice now, I have nearly hit someone.


I am super vigilant in checking many times backing up but worry that because I am looking behind me flipping from side to side that I may hit something on the front corners as I am paying so much attention behind me.

I said to Princess Two how I really feel like I needed to get a reverse camera so that I can safely drive the car in parking lots and it is so bad with the kids in my neighbor hood zipping around on bikes, scooters and so many cats and dogs on the street that I now always back my car in so that I won't hit them zipping due to missing seeing them.

So, we proceeded to a second hand store in town and guess what I found in the box new!!!!! For $10, I found a color, Bluetooth, rear camera that attaches to the license plate!!! I couldn't believe it. My Heavenly Angels are so quick to get me my every need. It really has been a stress on me worrying about that and as soon as I voiced it, within minutes I had one for $60 - $100 less than purchasing a new one online would cost.

I tried to install it but worried I may break something so I enlisted my brother-in-law to help as I got super frustrated half way through installation. I drilled the hole which you need to line up exactly to fit it flush on the license plate. He was helpful splicing it to the reverse lights. There was one rubber gasket we couldn't get it pushed through so I suggested using a zip tie as it is stiff enough to push and not bend but thin enough but not stiff enough to rip through the rubber tube / gasket. It worked like a charm.

We pushed the zip tie through the gasket and then pushed the thin wire into the little hole you would usually push the pointed end of the zip tie through and then pulled it through the gasket and it was great. Then, we used that same method to get the wire through to the back light area as well as the zip tie is stiff and easy to guide through the holes where the wire is limp and falls making it hard to guide through.

One suggestion I have, is to make sure that you leave the camera wire loose a bit near the license plate so they can easily put on a new plate if needed as if you pull it tight, they can't take off the old plate. Since I drilled through the plate, we will have to snip the plate to remove the old plate and do the same to put a new one on but it is well worth it for the ability to see what is behind me. I took a video of us installing it and one of me using it so you can clearly see how much room I can see out of my window and how well I can see now with the camera!




I have to give gratitude to my angels for helping me find the camera and to my brother-in-law for donating an hour of time helping me install it where I was struggling to get the back paneling off.I was afraid to break it and basically, it just pulled off but I couldn't find anything online or youtube on how to get them off and he even looked and couldn't find anything so he was super wonderful to help me get that done!

If you have any questions on the install, feel free to ask questions as it was super easy once we got the plastic paneling off! I had most of it done but that one piece just wouldn't come off! You also need a way to test the positive and negative on the wiring to the reverse lights and there was a helpful youtube video on that so take some time to watch that if you need help that way.

Have a Blessed Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment