Thursday, March 29, 2018

How To Finish A T-Shirt Quilt- Dr. Seuss Part 4 - Almost Ready

My second to last step on a quilt is tying the quilt with yarn or cotton crochet thread or to quilt it by machine or hand. I have always done my t-shirt quilt tied with the cotton crochet thread as I don't usually like the way the yarn looks on a quilt after a few washes and it has more bulky knots which can be uncomfortable. 


I usually try and pick a color that is uniform throughout the quilt and matches the back but with this quilt, there was only one white square and most of the squares had some type of black color so in the end, I ended up using black crochet 100 cotton thread even though the backing was lighter. 

I usually try to tie the squares in the least obvious spots as you will see in the pictures. I try to hit all the corners and then find a spot that matches the thread on the square and tie it there. I hope that you can see that in the pictures or video. I actually did it a bit different than I talked about in the video and normally do on this one as I used a really thin batting and was worried if I didn't tie it off more than I normally do on a thicker batting, that it would tear and lose loft. 

I almost wish now that I had just waited and bought a thicker batting but this also is an issue as the quilt gets larger and heavier and if used on a child's bed, it can hang down heavier on the edges putting weight on the child so I think it worked out alright in the end. 

Depending on how thick the batting is, is how close or far apart the ties need to be on the quilt. I did less on the bottom shorter row and more on the taller shirt rows. I think it came out super cute and have some supplies left to make a few pillow cases if she finds one or two more shirts she wants to use. 

Once the quilt is tied as I mention in the video, I sew the binding edge as if you sew it before your tie it, the batting can shift and twist so I suggest you watch all the videos 1-4 and look at the posts on "how to" do the steps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

I am so excited for the big reveal. I asked if she wanted to wait until her birthday for the quilt but she said she would take it as an "Easter / Birthday" gift. ;-)

I think she will love it! I do as it is one of a kind. Have a Blessed Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment