Thursday, March 15, 2018

In A People House - Seuss Quilt For Princess Two

I have shared a little before about how Princess Two wants a "Dr. Seuss" quilt. Her favorite book as a child was "In a People House," I didn't know that we could find enough t-shirts of Dr. Seuss to make a t-shirt quilt but we were at second hand stores all over the state looking for t-shirts for my fathers "life quilt" that I gave him on Valentines Day.
While searching for his shirts, we were so blessed to find enough shirts to make a Seuss quilt. 

At first, she said she just wanted a small twin one she could snuggle in and that wouldn't be very heavy, but then she thought that it would be a really cute bed spread on a twin bed so maybe she wanted it bigger. So, we kept looking for shirts and over the weeks, we have been able to collect enough unique shirts to now make a king sized quilt for her.


I finally started cutting this week after she came down to trade out cars. We took a few minutes to place them in spots where there wouldn't be color clusters or two of similar shirts next to each other. 

I have never made a quilt showing all the steps on one quilt. I usually get near finishing and make a video but I wanted to share the process I go through to explain how I work it. 


Here is "Part 1" on my "how to" on the quilt and hope that I will be able to get it finished quickly and move on to sewing Princess Five's "Broadway quilt" that I already have cut but she is just waiting for the exact right shirt as she wants on of her favorite shows on it. I told her to purchase it online and I would pay for it but she has three or four favorites so she can't decide on which she wants to get. I keep reminding her to purchase it but I think she would actually like to see one of the shows and purchase it with a memory attached. 


I'll have to work on that! Basically, this first video is us laying it out making sure there are no color clusters or similar shirts touching. Sometimes you need to put similar sized shirts together making a shorter row and a taller row but luckily for us, most of the shirts are a similar size. 


Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I am excited to see how this quilt will come out as it is looking good. I have spent two days cutting down the squares and figuring out sizing. 

I think she is going to LOVE this quilt! It will definitely be a one of a kind!

Have a BLESSED Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment