Friday, September 15, 2017

Getting a New Printer - Which is the Best For You

I haven't had a working printer for many months now. My last printer has been on its last leg for over a year. I had to hand feed each sheet at a certain point after the ink cartridges were starting to move. It would get jammed and I would have to reset the entire thing. Printing a simple document could take four tries. 



I have a few other small printers that the girls have taken to college but I needed a scanner so I kept thinking I would research and purchase one when I was in a larger city. 

I have been so busy with the kids stuff and life situations that I hadn't had time to travel and purchase one.

Before returning from my stay last week with the surgery patient, I found time to go to a store and look at a few. I was a bit frustrated that I hadn't researched them but spent a bit of time online at the store looking at reviews. 

In the end, I was about to purchase one that was nearly $300. The reason I wanted that one was that it had a legal size scanner and it was a book scanner so you can scan right to the edge. 

When I looked into the ink cartridges, they weren't refillable. They were REALLY expensive. I then went and looked at the cheapest wireless printer. It scanned but was not a legal size but the print cartridges are refillable and not as expensive.

BUT, the price was over $200 less! I figured that if I needed a larger scanner, I could pay to have it scanned and it would be a few hundred scans / prints to cover the $200 difference. I doubt I would ever need that many larger scans printed.

The other issue I had with the expensive one was that it was really large. You can see from the second picture that the one I had was compact and fit into a slot in my desk / hutch. 

Basically, the more expensive one does the same things as the cheaper one with a color display, holds more paper per printing and you don't have to change out the ink cartridge as often. 

Downfalls, it costs lots more, it doesn't do more things, both are wireless, both have touch displays, both scan, fax, print, and copy. You can't refill the cartridges and it is VERY heavy. It was a laser printer but in the reviews, it said that the prints on pictures came out dark and a bit fuzzy on the edges. 


With that, I went with the cheaper, smaller version that I could refill the cartridges and is lighter and fits in the spot I had. I did have an issue setting up the wireless feature but that was due to my computer as I had never used my new computer with a printer before so the issue was that I didn't know how to choose the new printer. When I figured that out, the set up was super easy and I had downloaded the software twice from online before realizing the issue was my computer. 

It was SUPER easy to set up, I printed with it wirelessly from my computer within minutes of set up. I copied something over from the touchscreen without having to turn on the computer and it seems to be working great. 

The only downfall I have found is that I don't like how there is a little plastic piece that pops out to hold the printed papers out the front and you have to put that back in after it prints but I guess it is similar to the little front I had to pull down on the old printer. 


I am just super happy to have a printer again! VERY happy day! 

Have a blessed day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment