Thursday, November 20, 2014

Rehydrating a Glue Stick - Sticky Solution

Over the years, I have probably thrown out at least 100 glue sticks. We buy several packs at the beginning of each year and when I got really into scrap booking, I bought a 24 pack. Of course, in my life, I don't have time to go through a 24 pack of glue sticks in a year before they dry out so you can imagine that the landfills are probably full of dried up glue sticks. 
 
I threw out a few last week as I was cleaning out my craft room and found the 24 pack half empty and all of the sticks left in it were dried out. I KNOW that I have thrown out several just pulling them out of the package and they were never used. 
 
I had a thought then, "If they can dry out, they must have some water content. I wonder if it is like the play-dough I reconstituted recently and if I add water, if it will make the glue stick usable again." 

I figured I had several in the garbage can to mess with so I pulled one out that had never even been used and I added water. I tapped the air bubbles out and made sure the water was actually down into the tube. 

I then put the lid on the tube and left it by the sink in the basement where I rarely go. Princess Five said it almost fell into the sink drain the other day and wondered why there was a glue stick there.
 
I went in there today trying to remove some Sharpie off a tile from when I marked it to cut it and noticed the glue stick by the sink. I thought to myself, "Why would Princess Five leave a glue stick by the sink?" It took me a second to remember that I had put the glue stick by the sink. 


Imagine my joy and glee at finding the glue stick was like new or better. It was PERFECT! I was thrilled and then proceeded to make this video to post on youtube and unlike the play-doh video I did a few weeks ago, I didn't find one video about reconstituting or re-hydrating glue sticks. Fun for me! Sometimes I surprise myself with my ability to come up with great ideas. Wish I were better at doing something with those ideas. :-) Perhaps I should put some water in a little bottle and sell it as "Glue Stick Miracle" and market it and make millions.... Ok, I am tired but I thought it was funny at the time.  

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this it really helps a lot and I tried it with my other glue and it's working as well I really really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If people can sell dehydrated water (just add water!) then you should definitely sell the glue stick miracle fixer!! Thanks for this tip. I too throw away too many glue sticks. Also, cool idea, my daughter's teacher cleans out used glue sticks and refills them with melted crayons! Too cool!! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your gratitude! I love that you took the time to share as I have never heard of that crayon trick! I will share that with my daughter as I think her children would enjoy making those!

      Funny that I haven't thrown out a glue stick since figuring that out!

      Have a blessed day!

      Delete