Thursday, November 13, 2014

Buying Scented Cuticle Oil Cheap


This isn't one of those blogs that people will find on a search. Who would type in "inexpensive cuticle oil " for a search? 

I ran out of cuticle oil as mine got a leak and then it dropped and cracked the bottle and so I was in the market for new oil.

If you read my blog post about pedicures, (click here for that) you will know that cuticle oil helps keep your nails looking fresh and also helps with cracks on the sides of your finger and, as that cracking can be painful, cuticle oil can be a lifesaver. 

The last bottle I had was a gift and was peppermint scented and I LOVED it. 

Before that, I had a "Sally Hansen's" and it wasn't scented but worked ok. I went to Walmart and the only oil I could find was the "Sally Hansen" and it was over $5 for a little bottle and wasn't scented.

I bought the jar but was frustrated that I liked the scented and thought it would be cheaper than it was for something I really wasn't all that thrilled with. I didn't open it.

I said a little prayer about a few other things when leaving the store as I pray throughout the day about different things. Most of the time, it is a prayer of gratitude and it could have been one of those prayers as I often find pennies while leaving the store etc. 

 I had the thought to go to the local nail salon while I was praying. I kept that thought in my mind for a few days as I didn't have time to go over there. I finally went to the salon and asked them if they sold Cuticle Oil? 

The owners were a Vietnamese couple. They were really cute when I asked what type of oil was in the cuticle oil, she said, "Peanut, apple." I thought it could be peanut oil but what oil comes from an apple? 

She had me smell it and I chuckled as it was "pineapple." It did smell good and they said they would sell the large bottle that was full for $10. 

I was SOLD. I paid and have used it many times already but the bottle doesn't close well and the oil drips down the sides leaving oil rings on the counter and it is hard to use on the toes when I am giving pedicures on a towel while watching a movie. 

I came up with an idea. I have several "top coat" clear polishes that are getting a bit thick. I bought a new topcoat at the dollar store and it is quite runny so I mixed them into one bottle and got a nice medium thick topcoat. I also got and empty jar! 

I used fingernail polish remover to clean the bottle and the brush out. You can just pour it into the jar and shake! I made two jars of cuticle oil by doing this. If you put water in it to rinse out the fingernail polish remover and it gets seemingly sticky, you just put more nail polish remover in and shake again until any residue of the clear polish is gone. 

I used masking tape and a Sharpie to label the new bottles and then covered that with clear shipping tape so that the ink won't run if the oil gets on it. 

I had to try it out on myself and it worked well. I  gave Princess One and Two pedicures tonight and it worked WONDERFULLY! And, their toes smelled like "Peanut-apple!"

Here is a video of how I made the smaller jars and if you couldn't take the time to read the "how to" you can just listen to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment