Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Surge Protector - Does it Really Work

We had a few storms this past week. With those storms, we had LOTS of thunder and lightning. So much so that I woke several times when sleeping due to thunder. 

Princess Five was watching TV one day when all of the electronics went crazy. It was not raining at the time and there were no surges in the rest of the appliances. However, we had had some surges early that morning. 

I am not sure why the surge protector went when it did other than I think it had taken some large hits earlier in the day. 

It was fried. It wouldn't work at all. I tried to reset it and it was done. I was very grateful that it did its job by protecting all our electronics as we have a very expensive set of electronics due to my big win from Panasonic with $20,000 in electronics several years ago. So, I made sure I had a good surge protector on all the items. 

I chose a MONSTER protector as I liked that it had color coded all the different electronic devices with labels on each slot so you could know which item you were unplugging instead of having to pull on each cord to find the one you needed to unplug. 

I went to our local WalMart to replace the surge protector and found that they did have another Monster one that was similar to the one I had before. It was almost $40.

I had many things plugged into the protector as we have lots of electronics so they had several plugs with 6 and 8 slots. The only Monster one they had had 8 slots. 

This GE one, had ten slots and two usb charging slots with quick charge. It was $30. With ten dollars in difference and two more plug in slots along with the usb charge, I figured it was worth getting the cheaper one. I also liked the fact that the one I got had six side by side slots and four for the larger adapter size plugs. 

Sometimes, I get frustrated when I have larger plugs to plug in and it covers several slots of plug in's just for that one plug.  This happens on my computer components and phone chargers many times. 

I used this surge strip in the interim before getting to the store to purchase another plug. I had this one in Princess fours college bins. I used a pen to label which plug went into which slot so I could label them when I put them into the new surge protector. 

As you can see by this strip, the larger plugs with the square adapter plugs would cover many openings so I really like that they are figuring that out in the industry and compensating. 

If I hadn't been in a hurry, I would have labeled the plugs themselves rather than the strip. Since the new strip I bought didn't have the color code or labeling, I took masking tape and a Sharpie pen (THEY ARE MY FAVORITE) and wrote on each cord plug what it went to so that I can unplug whichever I need to unplug rather than guessing and pulling each time. 

 I liked that the Monster had a two foot longer cord to the wall and they both had the flat plug so it doesn't get shorted and bent being behind the entertainment center.  

It has the swivel safety plugs which really don't mean anything to me as a child really shouldn't have access to them anyway and if they did, they are usually behind the system so I figure they have other things to worry about. I guess it would keep dust from getting in the holes but really, it wasn't a big deal or selling point for me. 

It said it has a power filter but isn't that what it is built to do, keep the electricity even and not surging? So, I don't know that that is a selling point either. 

The USB ports really aren't in a convenient spot and I can't imagine someone plugging things in behind the tv/vcr/dvd players but it is still a nice feature and if all things were equal, it may tip me in favor of the GE verses the Monster or another brand. 

The surge protector has two lights. The Monster did as well. It has one showing power and one showing surge protection. One is blue and one is green. There is an on off switch just like any other protector and they are almost always on the end or side of the strips. 

Once I had all the plugs plugged in and the protector on, I read some of the fine print on the warranty. Really, there isn't much of any way anything in your home will be protected or paid for if the surge protector doesn't work. 

I have this post and all the plugs shown as plugged in and if my house has a surge and things blow, even with this, I doubt I would get any item replaced or fixed. The fine print has such specific demands that have to be met that it would be a wonder if they actually did what they say they will do in providing up to "blank" amount in replacement or fixing costs on items that were plugged into their surge protector. 

Funny as well, is that if you have something plugged into the surge protector and that item blows up, if you have anything plugged into that item, it isn't covered under the warranty! So, if their product is faulty and your item blows up, they are sorry for you that you plugged that other item into your blown up item but they aren't going to help you with that because they are only covering the one item plugged into their protector. 

Not sure how that seems logical but it is in the warranty so I guess it has happened that their item was faulty and someone got messed over by plugging the other electronics into that item instead of the surge protector. 

I wonder if you plugged a surge protector into a surge protector and then plugged your electronics into the second protector if the first or the second company would be responsible for the damage?

The last one just covers their backside for all the products as it states that "the surge protection capacity must not have been exceeded!"  

Like that isn't a catch all for them? How could you prove that the capacity hadn't been exceeded if the items all blew up, wouldn't the company just assume that the capacity had been exceeded? 

I love that they do have an exclusion also if the items are directly hit by lightning. Like anything would be covered if that happened? I am fairly sure that even home owners doesn't cover a direct lightning hit on the house. I had a girlfriend that had her power box outside her house hit and the current blew the electronics on a path throughout the house and ended up blowing sprinklers out in the front and side yards where the current ended and needed to continue on. Nope, it wasn't covered. It was a cool story even though it cost them quite a few dollars in the end. 

Just in case of some weird circumstances, I did photo copy the receipt as you always need that for a warranty. I attached it to the warranty information and flattened the box and put it all in my "warranty" file in the file cabinet. That file has come in handy many times. I always just photo copy the receipts so I can know for sure when I purchased the item. 

The other thing I do on electronics such as hedge trimmers etc, is I write directly on the item the purchase date and the length of the warranty with a Sharpie. That way if the item dies before the warranty period ends, I can remember and use the warranty on the item. This came about because I had to dig many times to see if something was covered and dig out receipts to make sure.  This way, I know within seconds if it is still under warranty. 

Anyway, I thought I would post this as the Surge protector did its job. When reading the new information, it stated that, "All surge protectors have a shelf life even without a large surge as the components die off" so my guess is, if it doesn't have the two lights, change them out after a few years anyway just to make sure or use them for extended outlets and put a new one in the place where you need surge protection. 

I wish I could have a surge protector on my body. Keep the energy even and flowing... Some days, I think I've blown my energy source! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for providing the great information on a Surge protection Device . The pictorial representation is very helpful for every new user.

    ReplyDelete