Wednesday, August 7, 2013

New Car Stereo For Princess Three - Gratitude Moment

For a year or two now, Princess Three has been telling me that her radio isn't working. I listened about a year ago and figured it was the back speakers being blown but when I investigated further, I wasn't sure about that. 


Princess was in town to get her car inspected and we had a few problems and had it worked on for a few days. I took it to the car wash and had it looking great. 

I showed her how to touch up the chips with fingernail polish to keep the rust from spreading (I'll show that in another post). 

While she was here, I took the car to Radio shack and paid the worker there $10 to trouble shoot it for me. I got bad news for my $10. He said that all the speakers were  clicking when it was on radio or ipod but fine when the cd player was being used so there was a bad component in the unit. 


I told Princess I would look into getting her something. She had to leave to get back to college. I said a prayer that I would be able to find something. This may sound stupid to some, but my daughter goes to school in a small town with no radio stations but the college station and one western station and when she drives the long distances home or to do her job as an ambassador, she has no cell service and no radio so for her, it is a big deal.
 
I felt inspired to check the second hand store just then. It wasn't on my "list" and I did have other things to do but I went anyway after having that feeling. I walked right to the back and couldn't believe when I saw a car stereo with an output jack, a face plate with the mounting bracket and harness for $40. 

I thought that was great as it really looked new. I was worried though that it may not work as I couldn't understand why someone would donate such a nice stereo if it worked. 

I talked to the manager asking if it didn't work if I could return it and he told me he would give it to me for $20 but couldn't return it if it didn't work. 

I was THRILLED with that as Radio Shack's lowest was about $100 plus install. 

I figured I could probably figure out the install as they have diagrams on the top of the stereos with what color wire goes where. 

I took the radio with us camping last week and didn't show it to Princess. I took the old radio out but the harness didn't match up and I forgot to take wire splicers or caps to attach it so while there, I asked my brothers if any had a way to splice it or caps I could use. Of course my electrician brother had lots of things and he got several of my nephews involved in the project and within a few minutes, the stereo was installed. 


You can see Princess Threes face when she saw it in her car and the HUGE grin she has, as well as my brother, after she hugged him thanking him for his help. My nephews got into it by getting hugs as well. 

While pulling the other radio out, I realized that the new radio has an SD card slot behind the face plate and a zip usb port on the front as well as the input jack and cd player. It is a NICE stereo and Princess Three felt like it was her birthday and I was very grateful that the stereo and the trouble shooting in total was $30. 

This blessing will bring joy to Princess Three for years as she can now enjoy her ipod while driving as well as several other media choices but best of all, she can now enjoy the radio when she is in a place where it is available. 

I know that Heavenly Father does care about the little things that bring us joy. It may seem small to some but Princess three isn't into clothes, jewelry etc. But, she is into music, so for her, it was a blessing from Heaven! I have NEVER seen such a nice stereo at the second hand store and to have it there the day I took her car into be looked at..... Not a coincidence in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment