Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Making Money by Paying Your Bills


For over 20 years now, I have made money paying my bills. It started when I got a Discover Card and they gave cash back when you would use their card to purchase things. The more you used their card, the more money you would get back. It was a small amount but any money back was good in my eyes. 

As they years progressed, other cards started offering cash back for using their cards. There were several I really enjoyed that gave 5% on everything you purchased. I made lots of money during those years. 

Fast forward, they were giving away a bit too much money so the credit card companies made a stupid move (in my opinion) by making you have to call in quarterly and you will get 5% on one through four different catagories for that quarter. However, I don't use rental cars or hotels often so some of the catagories don't really do much for me. 

American Express, not wanting to lost its customers, followed suit but I am THRILLED with their options to keep the same categories and not rotate them as the other credit card companies do.

I have one that pays 3% on gas all the time and a few more percent on a few things and another one that pays 3% on groceries all the time. Of course, I use those cards for those items unless the cash back bonus catagories happen to be 5% on gas. 

I have all my cards in my wallet upside down and I use a small piece of masking tape to write what the cash back bonus is for that card on the tape. That way, I can see at a glance which card would be the best to use for that purchase. 

Sometimes they will give a 1/2 percent back on-top of all purchases for a month. Or, Discover will send me notices saying if I use the card at two different stores in the next month, they will give me $20 bonus, or some other great offers. 

As you can see, I have almost enough here to pay for the girls dance fees at the school. I used to pay my house taxes every year by using the cards in the right order, I could build up enough for that at Thanksgiving when the taxes were due. 

Some cards have a limit on the cash back rewards you can earn in a year. One card will only allow you to earn $300 for the year. I keep track as it will tell you what your rewards are each month on your bill. When I reach the $300 mark, I just start using a different card. 

I have two other rewards checks that come as checks to a specific store. You can also buy gift cards for forty dollars that are worth $50 to the store of your choice. There are also some cards that allow you to purchase items through their "redemption store."

I always take the cash back as we don't have many restaurants around and don't eat out much. 

I laughed to myself today when two checks that came from Chase had 111 in the item numbers. 

I had another Chase card with money on it that has almost $100 cash back but if I order it now, I only get $50 as they only do $50 incraments. You can see that Citi Card will send you what you actually have in the account. So, I am using that particular card this month to get the reward up to the $100 cash back and will then order my check from them. 

With that $100, and the American Express Checks, along with these, I am close to $1,000 cash back. I am going to be using it to help pay off the girls dance fees. I love that my Heavenly Father has shown me ways to make money to help pay for my girls to be able to develop their talents. I am so GRATEFUL that I have been able to pay off my credit cards monthly and that He blessed me with the knowledge and talents of being good with finances. I have been so blessed over the years to always be able to pay my bills. 


If you have read this blog, you will know that many times He sheds His miraculous blessing on my family in ways no one could foresee allowing us to be able to make our payments and bills on time. I am GRATEFUL I have this blog that allows me to share HIS blessings to me with others. 

I know the "111" in the checks were just for me. I called on the other cash back bonus checks about two weeks before the others, had I called on that same day, I doubt I would have had those number items. I am so blessed that He loves my girls enough to show me how to get enough funds for them to participate in the fun camps, missions, tours, choirs and teams that give them the confidence to face the world head on.

No comments:

Post a Comment