Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Mexican Train Dominoes Part 2 - Plastic Canvas Holder Thanks to Grandma




I wrote the other day about the  "Mexican Train" Dominoes game that we play. Did you know that there is a website with the rules for the game? I didn't know that. I had princess two look them up but they have a nice site and here is the link for that site in case you would like to learn to play it.   
 
I promised you I would show you the pattern to make the domino holder for Mexican Train that my Step-mother was making while camping. Isn't she cute!!!  
I asked her to hold up five fingers so I could remember how many rows to put on each holder. 


Here is a little one they made as a sample. It is small and is just to show how to make it.  

You can see the top here showing that there are strips with four squares across on the back of the diagonal and there are five spaces between each set of standing up canvases and there are three spaces between where you attach the front slanted piece and the back straighter piece. 

You can make as many rows as you would like. You can see how it looks from the bottom as that helps you see how many rows between each alternating row. You can use any color of yarn you choose. I would use yarn I wouldn't use for something else.
 
Here is the side view so you can see how the front of the holders are slanted so you can view your dominoes more easily. If they were straight up, you would have to bend down to see them. 

There are three rows between the front and back of the "holding" pieces. It is easier to see that from the bottom. 

Also, make sure you whip stitch around the outside of all the plastic canvas pieces so they don't scratch you.  
 
When you cut plastic canvas, sometimes it leaves a sharp edge and that can scratch. By putting yarn around the outside, it makes it soft to hold and also it won't catch on anything while being stored or transported as the edges would if they were left undone. 

The top picture shows you her finished front view, and now at the end, I'll show you the finished back view.  She did a great job and was happy to share the finished product with us. The pattern instructions are on the pink paper picture above. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them on here and I will call the expert and get back with you. :-)

Thanks for sharing it with us Grandma!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you and thank your Grandmother. I will make 8 holders so that more people can play at a time. Then I will consider making sets for other players. Again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your gratitude! I will call and let her know of your comments, I think it will make her day! We love using ours! Have a Blessed Day!

      Delete