Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Water and I Don't Seem to Mix


 For some reason, water and I can't be friends. I was SO excited to have the mess done with the exploding sprinkler. Before burying everything, I figured I had better test it. So, I turned on each section of the sprinklers and they all worked. I was about to start putting the soil back in when I noticed a dark water spot on the corner. It was where I noticed the sink hole before. 

I thought the flooding I had was from the small leaking at the elbow. NOT! I turned it on again to see that area and look at the two photos above. Both you can see water just pouring out. 

I was so frustrated as I didn't know there was even another line right there. I started digging. I turned off the water at the main valve in the front yard. You always want to make sure when working with water, the main is shut off.
 
I dug and found another sprinkler line. It took some time to dig down as there was a LOT of water. When I got down to the bottom, it was a sprinkler line for the sprinkler on the right. I thought that line came from the left as there is a flex line coming out I put there last year. 

After digging, I found that there was a LARGE tree root that had pushed the elbow up and broke the seal threads on the extender. However, since the root was so big. I spent hours trying to cut it out but with the pipes all being so close, I couldn't get much of the root out.

After fighting it for a few hours, I decided to dig to the sprinkler and get the pipe out that way. I cut the pipe as it was rigid tight against the root and the other pipe. Once cut, I was able to get it out. 
The pipe was the dark smooth pipe that breaks easily so the adjustable wrench kept slipping. I grabbed some elastics and put them on the teeth of the wrench and Hurray, it worked and I was able to unscrew the pipe. 

To get the exact fit of hard pipe with the tree root directly under the pipe would have been very hard. I tried to use an axe, chisel, saw etc to cut some out and didn't touch it. I prayed that the flex pipe would be an option. 

I went to my favorite hardware store and asked my trusty friend there and he said it should work fine. So, I bought a few feet of flex pipe and a few fittings for under $3 and was back at home in no time to try and fix the pipe. 

The friend at the store suggested that I take a hot cup of water out and soak the end of the flex pipe in it before pushing it on the fixing so it would go on more easily. WOW, do I wish someone had shared that with me a few years ago. It worked wonders. I put a mug in the microwave for two minutes and after soaking the end for about thirty seconds in the water, it slipped right on the fitting end.  

I had to return to another hardware store and buy another straight fitting as when I tried the elbow, 90 degree one, the pipe was bending too much and kinked, so I tried the straight one with what I hope are GREAT results! 

I tested it tonight but want to check it again in the morning before filling everything back in. Seriously, I must have some plumbing issues this week. I have another story for tomorrow. You won't believe it!        

No comments:

Post a Comment