Monday, February 27, 2012

Brownie Crust / Shell Banana Cream Pie

I was looking for a way to make a treat for my bunko group the other day with things I had on hand rather than having to go to the store to make something or buy something and prayed for a little inspiration as money has been tight since the wedding and the holidays.




I thought about the brownie shells I made when trying to figure out what I wanted to make for the wedding treats. (See that blog here)


I had many boxes of brownie mix left and wouldn't have to go to the store for that. I then looked in my cupboard to find some banana cream pie mix. I didn't have any milk however to make the mix but I did have cream left over from the wedding in the freezer so I used half cream and half water to make the banana cream pie mix. I had bananas already at home so I was able to make shells the day before I had bunko and mixed up the filling that afternoon. I placed a few slices of banana in the bottom of the shell, scooped in the pie filling, placed whipped cream on top and topped the whole thing off with a banana.


I let it set and chill in the fridge until time to be served and actually didn't put the banana slice on top until I was serving it because I didn't want to to get brown and shriveled.

They were a hit!!! The women loved it and asked if this recipe would be on my blog. I told them I had taken pictures thinking if it were good I would. I tried a small one before they came and figured they would enjoy it.

I didn't take pictures of me making them because I had talked about that in the first post on the brownies with the link above. I did learn some valuable lessons I want to share. First, this didn't work on my gluten free brownies. They ended up being a horrible sticky mess. Second, the light on the "shell maker" didn't turn off even when the shells were done. I had to test the time with the first shells and use a timer on the rest. I used aluminum foil on the counter and just dumped the four shells out letting them cool on the foil and after they cooled for a few seconds, I turned them right side up to let them finish cooling.

The other thing is that I put in about two heaping tables spoons of brownie mix in each shell hole. The first batch I made came out really small and had no outer lip like a pie shell would. More like a tart shell. The second and rest of the batches, I added about three heaping spoonfuls and ended up having a nice "pie shell" shape. On the last batch, I added more to use it up and the pie shell edges extended out making an uneven edge that broke off. Try one batch, if it is not enough, add more. If it is too much, add less. I got 16 shells out of one brownie mix.


This would be a five star recipe in my 1-5 rating. Everyone of my children liked them. I still have another pie filling so I am looking forward to making them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment