Friday, November 11, 2011

Brownie Blessing and Wedding Treat Part 1




For the wedding, we are doing a soup, sandwich and dessert bar. I was going to make cookies for the dessert but for some reason thought that brownies would travel better. I was headed to the store the other day for a small item. I walked into the store and as I walked in I had the feeling to get a flyer. I dismissed it and walked in. I had the feeling again so I went back through the out door and grabbed a flyer.


I opened the flyer and on the front was brownie mixes for $.88 with coupon up to six. I was thrilled. I went and bought some and got some chocolate chips as well. The chips I bought ended up being expired so they wouldn't sell them to me so I went back in after checking out and bought 6 more mixes. As I was headed to the checkout, I ran into my good friend Kelly. She told me she wanted to help with the wedding and took the six mixes out of my cart and told me she wanted to buy them for me. I thought that was so sweet. She paid cash and dropped the bag into my carriage.


I went back and got six more mixes for me to buy. I bought them and the chocolate chips. I went to Walmart for something else I needed and they match prices so I bought six mixes there. However, I passed the chocolate chips and they were almost $.50 cheaper there so I bought the chips I needed there. I went back to the other store and returned the chips and bought six more mixes. I also found some butterscotch chips that were expiring this month so they sold them to me for $.75 a bag. That was more than half off and we are using them so the date wasn't an issue.


I now had 30 boxes of brownie mix to use for the wedding and the chips to go along with them.


I borrowed a doughnut maker and bought a "shell" maker and a heart shaped waffle iron. I was trying to figure out what the best way or shape to make the brownies would be. I made up a mix and heated up all the "makers" to give them a try.


I put brownie mix in all three and they all went off at a similar time. However, it is very difficult to take brownie mix out of anything as it is soft even when it is done until it cools and hardens. By the time I was able to get the shells out, they were burned on the bottom. The doughnuts were a bit lopsided as the place I pulled them out didn't stay round. The waffles were really crispy on the sides as it was hard taking them out because they aren't firm until cool.


I decided to cook them each at different times to see if they would come out any better as they overcooked waiting to be taken out. The shell I did came out well but was mishaped. I hurried and shaped it by hand and it was actually really good and I think it would be good with a scoop of ice cream in it with some toppings. I will probably do it again. However, I am showing you a picture of the bottom of the first as a warning that if you do brownies in the shell maker, you will have to take it out soft and "reshape" it yourself. I used a rubber spatula to take it out so that I didn't scratch the surface of the maker. I will for sure make these for my bunko dinner in a few months.


The doughnut maker made cute brownie doughnuts and they tasted fine but I didn't think they looked cute or would serve well. I did think it would be really cute to put a Hershey's kiss in the center either right side up or upside down and let it melt into the center while it is still hot and see how it looks but wasn't thrilled enough with the idea to take the time to do it before returning the maker to my friend.


The heart shaped brownies were the cutest I thought and would be great for something else. I did put some whipping cream on them and some sprinkels the color of the wedding and had my daughter try it. She said it was too much brownie and sweetness and coming from a chocoholic, that is saying much. I thought the same when I tried it and thought it would be more work than my last option.


I also tried a few other things like putting some chocolate chips on as they were still hot, letting them melt and then spreading them over the hot brownies so that when they hardened, it would be a chocolate shell or a flavored hard topping rather than messy frosting. The chips melted but it didn't look good when I spread it over them. I would need lots of chips and it would be rather thick to make it look good and I really didn't like the color that it gave them. So, those were just some of the things I tried.


Monday, I will tell you what else I tried and what I figured out to make it work for me. I did have someone tell me that if you use cake mix in the waffle iron, it will make a better "dessert waffle" but because we decided to do something different, I haven't tried that yet. I will let you know how it works if I try it sometime. Cake mixes are on sale this week so perhaps I will buy one and try it just so I can know how that would work. It was kinda fun experiementing and my children are enjoying all the treats around that I don't ususally make because if I make them, I will eat them. lol



Have a great weekend and maybe you can make brownie or cake waffles for breakfast! I bet it would be good with peaches and cream on it! Thanks Kelly for the brownie mixes and for your help with the car the other day! Thanks Karen for letting me borrow the doughnut maker and sharing the cake mix and waffle iron idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment