Monday, May 30, 2011

Waffle Ice Cream Cones of Varied Flavors

I went to my bunko group and won a waffle ice cream cone maker. I had never seen or heard of such a thing. I saved it and gave it to the girls for Easter. I have been busy with things for the last month of school so we hadn't had a chance to use it.



This week was the last week of school so we had some company visit. I thought it would be a good time to try out the maker.


The company that makes the waffle cone maker is Bella cucina Artful foods. The maker was really easy to use. I just put some coconut oil on it to "season" it and heat it up as I put in the five or so ingredients to the bowl and mixed.


The maker comes with a booklet which has three or four recipes for different flavored cones. They have chocolate but for my first try, I wanted to make the traditional "Vanilla" cones.

I have always loved waffle cones and have always gotten them when available. I was interested to see if the cones actually tasted like the ones you can buy.

The mix was very thick. Not like regular waffle mix. It was almost thick like a fudge is pouring it into the pan. Here is a photo of it on a spoon.


Once the batter is made, you spoon a few spoonfuls into the center of the heated and oiled pan. The booklet recipe said to cook the cone for 1 minute but you may have to add 5 to 15 seconds.


The first cone I made, I used the little green light on the top figuring it would turn green when the cone was ready. It went off finally and the waffle was black. So, I then set a timer for 1 minute. Once again the waffle was black.


I then set the timer for 45 seconds and here is how it came out. It was really dark on the edges and lighter at the bottom of the machine. The cone was still edible but just darker edged. I finally started setting the timer for 30 seconds and it seemed that was the best time for a good golden brown waffle.



The maker comes with a "mold" for shaping the waffle. However, the instructions say to get a "clean" cloth and use it to hole the waffle as you wrap it around the mold. I used a spatula to pull the waffle off the maker and tried to use it to hold the waffle onto the mold. I didn't like using a cloth but wondered if I used honey on the maker down a strip if I could then just roll the waffle on. I didn't try that but think it would probably work.


Once you have the waffle on the mold, you hold it there for about 1 minute as it cools. Once it is cooled into the "cone" shape, you drop a marshmallow or two in the bottom to "plug" up the bottom so ice cream doesn't leak or drip from the bottom of the cone.


They tasted great and I used some of the crumbled ones with overdone edges to crumble up on top of some ice cream as a "mix in" as we like waffle cone ice cream. They were just the right amount crispy and tasted like a waffle cone but even more like the really good fortune cookies some places have.


We didn't finish them that night and so I left them on a plate thinking they would get eaten the next day. My kids kept breaking pieces off to eat. The next day, they were a bit less crisp from sitting out but still tasted wonderful. I would bag any leftovers next time to keep them fresh.


I look forward to trying the chocolate and other flavored recipes now that I have the timing down. I checked out the company online and they have some other fun bakers such as brownie, muffin, doughnut, cake pops etc. I have seen many of the other types of bakers but never the "waffle cone" baker.


It is a fun thing that can turn a boring afternoon into an evening of fun. You could experiment by adding different flavorings to the mix. It could be interesting to try Mint with mini chocolate chips in it or something. The possibilities are endless.

1 comment:

  1. This looks so great!!! I would love to own one of those!

    ReplyDelete