Friday, May 6, 2011

Camping Hand Print Quilt Part 1




OK, you may be sick of seeing the hand print quilts. I know I am about sick of them as well. My younger two daughters were sad that they didn't have any because of situations at the time that made us unable to get the family prints. So, I told them that I would make them "camping quilts" because most of my family goes camping.


So, I had all the squares cut before we went and while the family was playing and watching "Minute to Win it." I was getting every one's hand print in paint on quilting squares.



One of my nephews grew a full foot since I saw him at Christmas time and his hand almost didn't fit on the larger squares that I used for these two quilts. His photo is at the top.


I thought it was cute that my dad would still do the hand print when I told him what it was for, he readily turned out his palm.


Interesting, I have a step sister and she and one of her daughters both turned their hand over and placed it on the quilt square when everyone else left theirs in the air to get paint on it. They weren't together when they did it. I thought that was interesting.


One other thing that was weird is that about 7 out of the 40 or so hand prints I got had a little "heart" in the center. They were all blood related so that must be inherited as well. Funny how those things work. I would love to have a palm reader check out the quilt. :-)


Anyway, while camping I finished Princess number 3's quilting around the squares and am in the process of sewing it. Actually, I have to be honest as I am sure none of you have ever done anything like this. It has been laid out on the floor for 2 weeks quilted and was laid out before that in order while I quilted the squares for at least a month. I am embarrassed to say that I have had something laying on the floor for a month but I just haven't had the time to sew it even when a row was done I could have but life is happening....


So, the hand print thing actually worked out well. I had a pan of water to wash, I used sponge brushes to paint the palms and paper towels I replaced under each square to blot any excess paint through the fabric. I let the squares dry in the back of my suburban and now I am working on quilting around the hands. I went on a nine hour band field trip this week and got about 8 squares quilted on the bus there and back. Lets hope for both our sakes that I get these quilts done soon!


I have to say my youngest Princess asked me on the field trip if I was working on her quilt with a sparkle in her eye. They really are a fun thing for them to have. What a blessing we have such a large and fun family.

No comments:

Post a Comment