Thursday, March 31, 2011

Floss, Wire, String, Eyelets and Fibers







For those of you that scrapbook, you know how many different types of items there are to use in scrap booking. I was at a loss as to how to store these items so they would be readily available for use and be easy to store and see. I find that if the scrapbook items I have are out of sight, they don't get used.



A few years ago, I cut up some stiff cardboard I got from the back of the girls notepads. I made it about 2 1/2 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches wide. I then started winding all my larger pieces of different laces, cording, edging and ribbons around them and stored them in a large clear plastic bin. It is the size of bin just larger that the shoe box.



I did this with all the rick-rack and any other type of lace or ribbon. I placed them by color and type. I ended up with three of these bins allowing for eyelet, edging and ribbons.



For the smaller fibers, wire, colored string (I use for tatting flowers etc) and floss. I use the small embroidery floss plastic containers you can get at any craft store. They are $2 at WalMart and have little plastic cards you wind the thread around.



For eyelets, rivets, glitter, gems, brads and any other small confetti, I use the same type of embroidery floss holder but it is the larger size. I go to the craft section in WalMart and buy the 100 count of small bags (which I also use for my homemade suckers and jewelry findings and bead storage.) These bags cost $1 for 100. A penny a piece is a deal in my book. The sucker blog is here: http://thesecretisgratitude.blogspot.com/2010/10/suckers-lollipops-and-flavorful-treats.html




I place all the small items by type and then color in the different sections. I have really enjoyed using this method as everything I need is very easily seen and used. I only have to open the top to remove the needed item rather than digging in a file or bin looking for it.



I cut off a small piece of fiber from my yarn and wound it on the plastic bobbins at first but now that I have my yarn so easily available, I don't need to do that anymore.



I keep my eyes open at yard sales, second hand stores, discount sections at stores and clearance bins for cute ribbons, bindings and lace. All the rick-rack you see in the pictures and most of the lace and eyelet was purchased that way. I used to use eyelet ribbon lots on baby quilts so most of that I bought on sale new but the rest came from always checking the discount places.



I like having this on hand for any project. I never know what I will need and it was fun having all the items available and organized for when I made the aprons last week. Apron blog:http://thesecretisgratitude.blogspot.com/2011/03/overall-cutest-aprons-part-2.html

How blessed I am to have the place to store it and to have found it all at a discount. I rarely have to go to the store when I am doing a project. I usually have everything I need at my fingertips.



Happy organizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment