Monday, March 14, 2011

The Domestic Princess & T-Shirt Quilt B

We had a wonderful week with all the girls home. My oldest got busy and finished her t-shirt quilt. She did all the sewing herself. I did help with a few weird items.


If you notice, we took apart some baseball caps or hats that we wanted to put on the quilt. We used a seam ripper and took out the insert that holds the visor stiff. We had to pick apart some of the top seams on the hat in order to fit all the names on it but we just zig-zagged all the edges.


Another square I thought was fun were the blue "OshKosh" overalls she wore as a baby. We zig-zagged the bib section onto the square cut out of the pant section and left the buttons on the straps. I think that is my favorite square on her quilt.


We also used the little rocking horse from her room decorations when she was a baby. It was the crib bedding she had and that was the "head board" piece. We left the ruffle on and just pinned it down when she sewed that square.


I had her pin each edge to the next as she sewed and did one square at a time finishing one row at a time. She laid it out how she wanted it and just did right sides together one square at a time.


She spent about three evenings sewing. She spent about the same cutting out the squares. I was impressed with how quickly she picked up on it. Considering it was her first project, she did really well. She didn't want me to take her picture and after it was quilted and bound, she folded it up quickly and was headed almost in a run to put it in her room.


I figured if I let her get it out of my sight, I would never get a picture with her and the finished quilt so I forced her to let me take the picture. I have to say it is probably the worst picture I have ever seen of her but since she has the quilt hidden away for future generations to discover, I figured I had better take what I could get. :-)


We finished a few other projects this last week that I am excited to blog about. I thought I was very thrifty and creative so keep checking in as I think some of you will like the ideas.


I am so PROUD of you my darling oldest daughter!!!! You are becoming quite the "Domestic Princess!"

No comments:

Post a Comment