Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Seal-A-Meal Deal


I have heard wonderful things about the Seal-A-Meal with the jar attachment. I have been looking for one and this last week I found one in the box, with the instructions, unopened bags, jar attachment and it worked all for $5 at a thrift store. It didn't look used.

I have one of the old versions but this new one is really nice and easy to use. I have gotten some of the bags when I see them knowing I would get the machine and bought the "Seal-A-Meal" brand which are about $20 a box. The foodSaver bags are similar as well in price as this box is labeled $19.99 the food savers are similar products and one bag would work on the other. I got five new boxes of the "Seal-a-meal" bags for $2 each and then the "Food Saver" box with two large rolls of bags was only $2.


Over the last year, I have polished all the silver. Within a month or two, there has been a build up of tarnish already on some.


Air causes silver to tarnish so I decided I would try sucking the air away from the silver by sealing the silver in a bag to see if it would help save me polishing again.

I bagged all the silver and combined several pieces per bag by placing a paper towel in between to keep them from scratching each other.


Some of the larger serving pieces were too large for the seal-a-meal bags so I used a LARGE Ziploc bag for those few items. If you have a silver item that gets used often, you can use a Ziploc bag for those as well and use the suction attachment hose or a straw to draw out the air.


If you are going to use a straw just zip the bag most of the way closed and place the straw in and zip the bag until the only space unzipped is where the straw is left. Suck the air out of the bag and while still sucking in, quickly pull the straw out and seal the bag. It works fairly well with little effort if you don't have the hose attachment.

Tomorrow I will blog about how I labeled them and documented it all for insurance purposes.

This sure was a Seal-a-Meal deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment