Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Kale Chips are mm, mm good!

I made 4 batches of kale chips over two days. I had three dehydrators going and my 16 year old brought over a group of friends for games and movies and one asked what I was doing. I told him and asked him if he wanted to try one. He ate it and said, "Mm, mm, good." He then told the others how good they were. I asked if they wanted a bowl to take down while they watched a movie and he said, "Yes please!"


It is a weird combination but it is so good. Just a hint of lemon and the nuts hold the dressing on the kale. So, here is the recipe.


Two bunches of kale washed, layered onto each other and rolled into a cigar type shape. Cut them into about 2 inch strips and then slice them down the middle of the circles making them into squares. Mine were about three inch square but there were many other shapes.


The coating or dressing:


Juice of two lemons and their zest. (2/3 of a cup when I poured it into my measuring cup. I have used Real lemon juice before if needed.)

1/2 cup of water

1 cup of cashews

1 teaspoon of salt

1 tablespoon of olive oil

1/2 a large bunch of coriander (I didn't have fresh so I used a cup of dried which worked well and tasted fine.)

2 cloves of garlic (I used chopped from a bottle)


Put all ingredients into a blender until it is a paste texture. Put it over the greens and mix it in with your clean hands until all of the pieces are coated on both sides.


Place them on your dehydrator or teflex sheets in a single layer. You can use other greens. I have used cilantro and parsley. Any leafy vegetable will work. If you have used a green other than kale you might want to make sure that it's not lying completely flat on the teflex. It may stick. Depending on the dehydrator, it can take anywhere from 4 hours to 24 hours. I had three and one was great in about 5 hours, one in 10 hours and the other took 24 hours. it did have double the amount of trays however. I ate some of the kale with the coating as a salad and it was very good. Store in Tupperware of course!


Here is to a healthy alternative to chips!

I think I may make another batch of this coating to use for salad dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment