Friday, September 16, 2022

Sleep Study Takes Time

I talked to my Dr. many months ago about getting a sleep study as I think it may be part of my health issues. I got a referral to the pulmonologist and I met with him several months ago. 

The pulmonologist gave me a referral for a sleep study. I waited for a call from them as they told me I needed to just wait until they contacted me. A month or more goes past and I don't hear anything. I then call and get the number for the sleep study people and call several different times to schedule something. 

I finally get a teleconference with a PA and the soonest I can get a consult to discuss even getting a sleep study is December 21, 2022. I couldn't believe that it wasn't even for the study itself, but just a consult to discuss a study. Even more crazy, is that I took any appointment I could get in the state in that hospital chain. It was the first ANY of the hospitals had! 

I went recently to my Primary Care Physician and asked him if there were any sleeps studies more local. He made a referral and the place he tried doesn't take my insurance, so they referred me to another place out of a city a few hours away, but they have a deal with the local hospital to do the local tests so people don't have to travel far. 

I was able to get an appointment within a few weeks and yesterday, I picked up the kit to do the sleep study at my own home. I put it on, but didn't enjoy having it around my chest all night. There were chords going every which way and I got tangled a few times, and the oxygen tubes up my nose were really irritating, so I hope I don't need to repeat the test as I didn't get much sleep. 

I am really grateful that I didn't have to wait until December to get my test done and also don't want to have to deal with it over the holidays. They told me that it would take a week or two to get the results.

I am interested to hear back and hope that we can figure out something that can work to help with my apnea as the c-pap machines have never worked even after trying several different face masks. Here is a post to one I tried many years ago. I would love to start feeling better! 

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment