Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Unanswered Prayers

There is a girl / woman who I know who doesn't want to pierce her ears for whatever reason. Over the years, as I go through jewelry bags, I have given her cute clip on earrings. I see her wearing earrings I have given her many times in the past. 

I dropped off two pair of earrings today, and while standing on the porch of that home, I looked around and remembered that when we first moved here, we made a bid on that home as there was nothing to purchase as there was a housing shortage. We ended up living in a motel for months as we couldn't find a place and made bids on three different homes that were for sale. We didn't get any of the homes. 

The home they live in, is one of the homes we bid on and didn't get. I really didn't like the layout of the home but were were just desperate enough to get out of the motel that we made several bids on the house even though it had some big issues we didn't like. The basement windows were not code and we knew we couldn't put kids in those rooms. It also didn't have a garage, and the sidewalks were a mess. 

Because the market was so tight, we couldn't afford the price they were asking for the home. A bit later, we had a friend tell us they couldn't afford the home they had agreed to purchase, so I called the owner and said that my friend said we could buy it if we wanted. The owner of this home said she had three other people in line to purchase it but since my friend said we could have it, she allowed us to look at it and then said we could buy it. We took the owners to dinner and gave them a down payment that night. 

When I look at the condition of my home and the condition of the other home, I feel so blessed to have NOT gotten that home when we bid on it. The home I have now has been such a blessing for my family. 

I was standing on their porch waiting for them to come to the door and the screen was open and I waited for quite a long time and in those few moments I noticed many things on the house and was giving gratitude for my home. It is so interesting to look back and see God's hand in my life back then. 

As I was leaving after giving the mom the earring for the daughter, I had the Garth Brooks song "Unanswered Prayers" come into my head. The lyrics are below:

Just the other night at a hometown football gameMy wife and I ran into my old high school flameAnd as I introduced them the past came back to meAnd I couldn't help but think of the way things used to be
She was the one that I'd wanted for all timesAnd each night I'd spend prayin' that God would make her mineAnd if he'd only grant me this wish I wished back thenI'd never ask for anything again
Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayersRemember when you're talkin' to the man upstairsThat just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't careSome of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers
She wasn't quite the angel that I remembered in my dreamsAnd I could tell that time had changed meIn her eyes too it seemedWe tried to talk about the old daysThere wasn't much we could recallI guess the Lord knows what he's doin' after all
And as she walked away and I looked at my wifeAnd then and there I thanked the good LordFor the gifts in my life
Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayersRemember when you're talkin' to the man upstairsThat just because he may not answer doesn't mean he don't careSome of God's greatest gifts are unanswered
Some of God's greatest gifts are all too often unanswered...Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers
 
It just was about that house rather than an old girlfriend. I know I am so blessed to have such a lovely home on a quiet street as theirs is on a busy street. The list of differences goes on an on. I am very grateful to my Father in Heaven for always watching over me. 
 
Have a blessed day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment