Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Save Money By Using the Warranty - Best Way to Remember Warranty

I have saved money by using warranties, and I have lost money by forgetting I had a warranty. This top picture is my computer tonight showing that I have this method on all my purchases. I did part of this method for years but only doing part had its flaws, this way is easy and works! 

Hopefully, this method I have come up with to remind me of my warranty items will help you as well. 

I have always kept the warranty information on items I purchase in a file drawer in my filing cabinet. Many years ago, I found that it was helpful to have the original register receipt with the warranty information so if I had a problem, I could just get the warranty information out of the cabinet and I had everything needed to contact the company all together and alphabetical or size groupings. I kept files for small appliances, large appliances or items, and lastly, outdoor items/car etc.

However, I think most people are like me, even when they do keep the warranty information, who remembers exactly what month and year your purchased something? After a few years, you forget when you bought it and it may or not be under warranty, but at that point, I don't think to go into the files to find out if the item is still under warranty unless it is a big ticket item. I think companies bank on the consumer not knowing or remembering about the warranty a few years out and they make tons of money on the "extended warranty" this way as well. 

I did exactly that a few years back when I went out and bought a new hedge trimmer as some of the tines bent on the one I was using during normal use. I was mid pruning and needed to get it done, so I rushed out and purchased a new one for $50 or so. I got home and finished my pruning with the new pruner and was cleaning up and then realized that the trimmer that bent was probably under warranty but I had already bought the new one and now had to keep that new one. 

I didn't want to have the situation happen again and figured the only way I would remember when I bought something and how long the warranty lasted was to actually write it on the item I purchased so that I could know immediately if the item was still under warranty if it broke. 

I took a Sharpie marker and wrote the day I purchased the new trimmer on it and then wrote "Five year warranty" under the date. I then proceeded to staple the receipt to the warranty information and put it in the file drawer where I kept all the other warranty information. 

Since that time, when I purchase anything with a warranty, I write it either directly onto the item with the Sharpie, or I write it on a piece of tape and then put the tape on the item with the date of purchase and the length of the warranty so I can know immediately if I need to contact the manufacturer. 

There is no guess work and there is no digging in the filer drawer. I know some people take pictures of their receipts and keep it on their phone, but then you have to dig through many pictures to find that information. If the information is on the item, you can then search the pictures by date to find the picture quickly if you prefer to keep things digital. There is no right or wrong way to keep this information, but by putting it on the item, things go much smoother and easier having it always in your hands with the item under warranty. 

Last week, I returned a 100 foot extension cord that had disintegration on the casing and Home Depot exchanged it right out and saved us $80 as we were going to buy a new one. I thought it couldn't hurt to ask them about it. They had not seen that happen before so they replaced it without the receipt so always take the item back to the store if it is a store brand, as many times, they have the slush funds for that type of thing. Of course it is easier with the receipt, but if in doubt, try it without. 

Just a suggestion from someone who has saved money or lost money using warranties. 

Have a Blessed Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment