Thursday, September 12, 2019

Dehydrating Peaches Easiest Fastest Way - Round Not Slices

I have been writing my blog for so many years that I think I have blogged everything I do regularly, and I can't always remember if I have made a YouTube video of things because I didn't start making videos until years later when I had better internet. 

I looked on my youtube channel and found out that I hadn't made a video about dehydrating peaches or nectarines and thought it may be a good thing for me to make a video about because I think many people dehydrate their peaches by making slices that look like a smile over round pieces.

When I first dried bananas, I made perfect little round pieces. I did that only ONE time as it took me forever to flip them over as you need to flip them to make sure that both sides dry. I quickly learned to make the slices length wise making four cuts and flips over about 25 cuts and flips per banana. See my post about that here.  

The same holds true for peaches and other stone fruit. It is much easier to make slices to the sides of the fruit rather than cutting them from the top or bottom as you have pits for the length of the fruit so you will only get hula hoop circles if you cut it that way. 

The other way you could cut it is like a smile slicing from top to bottom and then going in a circle around the pit causing all your pieces to look like smiles or a slice of moon. This would take fifteen or so slices to cut up all the pieces and you would end up with 15 pieces to flip over, also when they dry, they shrink so you would have little peach pieces once dried. You can see what they look like dried like that in the picture above, you can see how small the sliced one dried compared to the larger round pieces. 

My favorite way, is to start on the sides and cut off large round moon slices until you get to the pit and then you will have two or so pieces that are like a hula hoop with a hole in the middle but this way only takes six slices or so and six larger pieces to flip halfway through the dehydration process. 

I have done it this way for years and find it the fastest and easiest way to dry fruit with the best size and dried results. 

I dry them at 115 to 130 degrees for 24 to 36 hours depending on how thick the slices are. I flip them over in the middle of the drying time, and I rotate the trays so they dry evenly. I also use the plastic canvas trays to keep the peaches or nectarines from sticking and I can flip the entire tray at the same time using the canvas trays. Here is a link to the post about making those. 

Have a Blessed Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment