Friday, September 13, 2019

Getting Peach - Apricot - Plum Nuts Out of The Pits

I have posted in the past about vitamin B-17 being in different types of pits. I realized that I hadn't made a video about the smaller fruit pits so I thought I would make a video to go along with the posts about this. 

I got some peaches from a neighbor who was sick of doing things with them and picked the entire tree and was looking for someone to take some. I gave away several bags to family and friends and decided to dehydrate some of them for the person who gave me the peaches. 

I cut them up and put them onto the dehydrator and then decided to get the nuts out of the pits. They have B-17 vitamin in them and it is hard to find that B vitamin in food as it is mostly only in pits. I have dehydrated and taken apricot pits which I purchased online but I did eat them when I was young. I have eaten plum pits, peach pits, nectarine pits, avocado pits and mango pits. 

All of these pits have the same flavor. Each of them darken in the air, each of them have vitamin B-17, and each of them are really bitter. The more bitter the pit, the more B-17 or Laetrile as it is called scientifically. 

Laetrile is a natural substance and I read a wonderful book about a researcher who studied it and found that it is a needed vitamin. He commented that he doesn't understand why there is so much controversy about it. 

I just know after all the research, books I share about in other posts, taking it for the past ten years or so, I feel BETTER when I take it in small doses every few days. I eat a few pits every three days or so but it would probably be better for me to take one each day but my life is so crazy that it doesn't end up being that way. 

I made a video about how I break open the pits holding them on edge. It is super hard to get the pit out by hitting the top or rounded sides of the pit. If I hold it on edge, as I show in the picture and video, the pressure of the hammer on that joint causes a "popping" sound when it opens. 

Once you hear that popping sound, you can pull the two sides of the shell open like a clam and pull the nut out of the center of the nut. Make sure you do this on cement or another hard surface. It cracks the nut easier and I use a clean hammer and collect the shells in one container and the nut in a smaller container. 

I wash all the nuts several times, and then if you have a dehydrator, you can dry them on the dehydrator between 100 and a 115 degrees for a few days depending on how thick the nuts are. Then, I put them in a container in the fridge until I eat them. 

If you can't dehydrate them, you can put them in the freezer until you can eat them. Or, if you live in dry and hot area, you can dry them on a paper towel on the counter. In other areas, you can dry them on the lowest setting in the oven on a cookie sheet until they are really dry. 

Even when fully dry, I keep them in the fridge just to make sure there is no mildewing or mold growing. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment