Thursday, May 3, 2018

Spot Cleaning Carpet Spots Using Zout and Water

I used to clean my own carpet for many years. I bought a sears carpet cleaner many years ago and really liked the beater brush suction attachment that would put the hot water into the carpet and then brush it and pull it back out. 


As you know if you read my blog, the past few years have been really crazy for me and I have several times pulled out my carpet cleaner to clean the spots in my "trail" area but it would just sit there for weeks and then I would put it back out in the garage due to some event and I just never got to doing it.

I realized that my life is not in a place where I thought I could spend a few days cleaning the carpets so I called a local cleaner to come do my carpets. I then remembered that the past few times I had the carpets cleaned, they didn't get the spots out well so I spent the entire morning cleaning spots on the carpet on the stairs and family room but didn't get to the few spots I had in the living room.

When the carpet cleaner arrived, it wasn't until he asked me what I was doing that I remembered that HE was the one that cleaned my carpets last time and none of the stains came out and I spent a few days scrubbing the stains out of the carpet.... I didn't have the heart to tell him to leave so I just said that "in the past, I have had to clean the spots after cleaners have left so I thought that I would clean the spots before he came so that hopefully they would come clean with his cleaning."



I have wool carpet and I forgot that he changed his cleaning method a few years back. He used to have the spinning pad type of cleaner but this time and last he used a simple spay water in and suck it out method which didn't clean it and left lots of water in the carpet.

I was SUPER upset when he left and spent the next two days scrubbing spots out of the carpet that I didn't see before he came but showed up after he left. There were two larger spots that had orange come up and I was so upset about how awful it looked and when I was scrubbing them right after he left hoping to get more of it up that I remembered it was from another carpet cleaner that had a soap wand thing and wherever he put it down it leaked orange soap on the carpet.

I got several of the spots up but the one is really bad and another I didn't remember came up so I allowed it to dry after I scrubbed it and then scrubbed it and used the carpet cleaner to suck up as much of the sudsy stains as I could. 

If you don't have a carpet cleaner or wet / dry vacuum, you can just use clean white rags or white paper towels to blot up the stain over and over until no more dirt or water comes up. I have done that many times over the years to clean spots. 

I usually just use warm water and a stiff scrub brush. I scrub the spot with the warm water and then blot it and it comes clean. If someone is coming to clean the carpets, I will sometimes just scrub the spot so that the edges aren't clear and the spot seems to come up better. 

I made a video on how I do it and use the Zout by spraying it in the water and scrubbing. I have used the Zout to get out blood, grass, rust, red popsicles, blueberry juice, burgundy paint and fingernail polish. I LOVE Zout for washing grease stains out of laundry.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Have a Blessed Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment