Monday, June 1, 2015

Making Your Own Inexpensive Essential Oil Diffuser

I've shared in the past how I use an old nebulizer used for asthma treatments to diffuse essential oils. Click here to see my first post about making your own diffuser and nebulizers. 



I have come up with a better way using a glass jar with a lid as I had a few times when the oils bubbled up out of the jar and made a mess when I didn't have a cap or lid. 

Here is a video I made showing my new way to make a cheap essential oil diffuser for home, office, hotel, apartment etc. 


The video isn't long but shows how I make them. 

I have another video that shows how much the nebulizer bubbles up the oils. It doesn't heat them but diffuses oils quickly. Fish pumps won't have that much air going through and don't put as much smell into the air but work for constant diffusing.
Here is that video. 

I found some cute small cork bottles at a second hand store for fifty cents each.

I have a drill bit that came with my dremel set that is the exact size needed to fit the oxygen tubing in. If you don't have this bit, you can use a regular drill bit and a drill. You would just need to measure the bit against the tubing you choose to use.

Fish tank bubbler tubing is a bit thinner than oxygen tubing or suction tubing. 

Drill over a sink or garbage can so you don't have to clean up a big mess as the cork will fly a bit. 

Drill two holes in the top of the cork. Try to not get the two holes touching so the cork doesn't brake. 

Also, make sure you go in the center enough that you don't drill out the side of the cork as you can't use it through the side. 

With this type, you can use a tube splicer or coupler to come up more through the top for an "out" for the oil, or you can also cut off a little longer piece of tubing for an "out" for the oil scent as well. 
 
I show here how I wrap the glass dropper up to keep it from breaking when I carry it while traveling but then I realized that I can just use a baggie wrapped around the entire thing and leave the dropper in the jar while traveling and that was a more logical way to make sure it didn't brake while traveling. 
 
I put the baggie inside the jar around the glass dropper and then have the bag come outside the jar and then stick the cork in the jar and use an elastic to keep the baggie in place on the lip of the jar.

To make the glass dropper part, stick the plastic tubing through one of the holes you drilled into the cork. Once the tubing is through the cork, push the glass dropper onto the end of the oxygen tubing so that the pointed end is pointing down and will blow air onto the oils.
 
The glass droppers can be from anything you have already at home or you can purchase them at a health food store. They are used to drop medicine or tinctures.

The fish tank bubblers I find at second hand stores. I am always on the look out as many people get sick in the winter and I try to have a few "kits" on hand to share when family and friends are sick. I also wanted to make a few to send with the girls to college. 
 
I sent several different types with them but this is the easiest most inexpensive and functional ones I have seen. 

I have found several fish tank pumps at second hand stores but even if you want to to go new, they aren't that expensive even at WalMart.

Once you have your cork made with your "in" and "out" holes,plug the other end of your oxygen tubing into your air pump so one end is on the pump and the other is in the jar with the glass dropper on it.   

Depending on the size of pump you get is how much of the oils you will smell. Smaller pumps take some time to get much of a smell. Larger pumps work better but sometimes can be overwhelming and over power the room and you have to turn them off and don't get to enjoy the smell all the time. 

My favorite pumps are the one's with a dial, screw or switch that allows you to decide how much oil you get at different times. 

If you have someone cook fish, you may want it on high for a few hours. Once it is back to normal, you can then turn the diffuser down and leave it on without it being to overpowering to you.

I also found these humming bird rubber "corks" that worked well also. 

I was able to drill holes in them as well but the rubber gets hot and will burn you if you get some on you while drilling. I wouldn't suggest these but if you can't find cork, this would do.

The cork just gives it an easy way to get the oils out but direct how it is coming out. You can add the little joiner coupler to direct the oils even more. I show it in my video. 


I show in the pictures how each type looks with their cork holes drilled and as you can see, the different shapes of the bottle can make it cute or decorative as well. 

I am sorry if this skips around as I am tired and sititus (Click here for a post describing that.) has the best of me as I keep falling asleep. It won't be the first or last time I fall asleep while blogging sadly. 

This pump was my favorite of the lot of them as it has the clear / white plastic screw that allows for gauging how much output you want. I used to have a dial one but shared that with someone else.
 
You can get them with buttons, dials or just a standard one with one setting. I like that they had some that just plug into the wall and you use the tubing from there. 

I hope this isn't confusing but I just keep flling askeep. Ha ha, I thought I would leave that as it is kinda funny. // Just keep nodding off and waking to new typing. 

Feel free to ask some questions if it is confusing. iIK Obviously, I need to go to sleep now.  

2 comments:

  1. I like to nebulizer with the fish tank pump and corked bottle. I want to use this for some health concerns. Can I use a few drops of oil at a time (1 tbs will cost a lot)?

    How long does the oil stay in the air. I was thinking of running it before bed and shutting it off if it is too noisy? Is the fish tank bubbler enough for a bedroom?

    How does the spray from the homemade version compare in the mist output?

    Thanks,

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe, Depending on the power of the pump, the oil can last a very long time. I leave my pump on low all the time day and night and only put about 1 tbs a month in the bottle but if you have it on high or are using a nebulizer, you will go through more oil. You can buy a "whisper" pump that is very quiet and leave it on all the time keeping the room smelling good all the time on low. If you turn off the pump, the smell won't last a long time if the pump is on low. With the nebulizer, it will last a bit longer as it diffuses VERY fast and lots of oil. You can pull the glass tip further out of the oil jar to diffuse less oil and push it closer to the oil to diffuse more oil. I can't really compare one pump or another with a regular diffuser as each pump has a different stream of air depending on the power or volume of air going through. I have a video that shows the air pump action of the nebulizer. I forgot I had a video where I show the nebulizer blowing in a jar and a fish pump one as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQCEyq57Pqg

      I will add this link in the above post so it is easier to find. I hope this helps.

      Delete